WE550Y21SHP Weedeater Lawnmower Briggs and Stratton engine

intruder1500

Threads
  • / WE550Y21SHP Weedeater Lawnmower Briggs and Stratton engine
Weedeater Lawnmower,

Let me know when you get to the point of starting this puppy... I have a similar Model 500 and can't get it to run except by feeding gas through the carb. Of course, it only runs a second or two and then shuts off. I've changed spark plug, put on new carb kit from Weedeater (while it was still under warranty, they sent me one), checked the flywheel key (it's good, I never did hit anything with it) and it still won't run.
This was only after owning for a year or so, about 5 years ago. I think I posted something on this site about it then.

I liked the lightness of the mower, and my older MTD 22" mower I had for mowing banks finally quit and I'd like to get it going again as it's easier to push on banks than my other trimming mower.
greynold99
Mower sat for 3 years....changed the oil / drained the old fuel / cleaned the air filter / new plug . It started on the 1st pull and is running fine. Is there an inline fuel filter on yours? maybe plugged? Have you got a good spark?

greynold99

Threads
  • / WE550Y21SHP Weedeater Lawnmower Briggs and Stratton engine
Got your update and I'm glad you were successful. I re-read my old posts on this mower and I found that I had actually hit a stump and had to have the engine mount repaired - the sheetmetal there was so light it just pulled the bolt-heads right up through the frame. Remember how I commented '... how light the mower is to push.' That's why - not much metal to these Weedeaters; and if I remember correctly, I didn't hit the stump that hard but just hard enough. I replaced the flywheel key at the time even though it was only slightly dented (not sheared).
After the repair, I was able to run it maybe once or twice more before it wouldn't stay running after starting - so, I suspect the stump hit has contributed something to the problem.
In reading those posts from the time, another forum member suggested there was a electrical-shutoff associated with the 'pull bail brake'; so, I'll look at that next.
As far as an inline fuel filter, I don't think so - it's just an earlier model of your mower's B&S engine. The only filter I know of is on the carb's pickup cone that sits in the fuel tank.
Hope to work on it this weekend.
greynold99