WAYS TO SUCK UP LEAVES

vettman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use a "cyclone rake" with my Kubota ZD326 mower, and have generally been very pleased with its performance. I do have one issue with this set up, though, and it has to do with some of the leaves being blown ahead and to the sides of the mower deck. This is a result of the mower blade tip speed creating more air than the cyclone rake can accommodate. I've talked to the CS folks at Cyclone and they don't have a good answer. I've thought about mounting a piece of flexible material on the bottom of the leading edge of the mower deck (to "trap" the excaping air), but I think it would probably just push/mound the leaves ahead of the mower. My only solution right now is to make extra passes to pick up the missed leaves. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with suggestions on how to "fix" this issue.

Thanks

Jhon

Threads
I just ordered one of these. I will let you know if I wasted my money or not.

I have been looking for a used cyclone rake this fall, but so far no luck.

TerraKing Leaf Bag - ST95000

Jhon

Threads
If you can convince your customers to allow it you might want to mulch the leaves and leave them where they are.

The mulched leaves act as a fertilizer and return a good bit of favorable chemicals to the lawn.

More here:The Value of Mulching Leaves On Site ォ Greener By Design

Here is my issue, (I just asked this on another site) I have a ton of leaves. In some spots, knee high. There has to be a point where too many leaves will harm the lawn. I have mostly oak and I know they are loaded with acid. At what point are there to many leaves to mulch?

rmancini

Threads
I use a "cyclone rake" with my Kubota ZD326 mower, and have generally been very pleased with its performance. I do have one issue with this set up, though, and it has to do with some of the leaves being blown ahead and to the sides of the mower deck. This is a result of the mower blade tip speed creating more air than the cyclone rake can accommodate. I've talked to the CS folks at Cyclone and they don't have a good answer. I've thought about mounting a piece of flexible material on the bottom of the leading edge of the mower deck (to "trap" the excaping air), but I think it would probably just push/mound the leaves ahead of the mower. My only solution right now is to make extra passes to pick up the missed leaves. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with suggestions on how to "fix" this issue.

Thanks

I have the same problem with my Cyclone Rake. (Not really a problem - just a condition.)
My solution is to reduce the mower engine RPMs to less than half throttle and keep the Cyclone at full throttle. You just need enough blade motion to "lift" the leaves so they can be sucked into the rake. A slower ground speed also helps when the leaves are wet.
Rich

turbo78

Forum Newbie
Threads
From '86 through '04 we lived on 29 acres in Western NY. Our home was built in the woods. We had leaves! Went through all of the typical pick up leaves steps. Rake, blow, mulch, etc, etc but all attempts were very labor intensive. Ran across a used Trac Vac at our local JD dealer. Paid $400 for the best buy of my life. Hook up hose adapter and hose to lawn tractor mower discharge. Hose runs to chopper/blower inlet on front of trailer. 8 hp engine does the work and blows bits into the converted utility trailer with a top on it. Super cleans the yard every time. Looks like a golf course. Took them into the woods for dumping. It was getting tired when we were getting ready to move, but still sold it for $200. Lawn always looked great - used it for most of the year just to pick up the grass clippings.
Take care and get those leaves picked up. Southern Indiana now, 2 acres, no trees, no leaves.

slammed

Threads
The best way to suck up leaves is with a power bagger or vacuum for your mower.

repeters

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use the Billy Goat Termite 27" Self Propelled Vacuum / Chipper. It does a great job so long as I don't try to hog up the leaves when they are a little damp or it will clog. It also has a chipper for small twigs / branches which I like. My only concern is with the emptying of the bag. If I dont lubricate the zipper a few times every season, it binds and makes emptying a real PITA.
The good thing about it is it chops the leaves down so more can be picked up between emptying.

Threads
Here is my issue, (I just asked this on another site) I have a ton of leaves. In some spots, knee high. There has to be a point where too many leaves will harm the lawn. I have mostly oak and I know they are loaded with acid. At what point are there to many leaves to mulch?

Having leaves ankle high can be too high to mulch. If you have places that are knee high you can kill the grass if you don't watch it!!