Repairs Way to avoid a mess changing oil?

tkrotchko

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an x540 and after two oil changes I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid making a mess when I change oil.

There are two issues, first, the oil change bolt is in a place where different parts of the body, supports & mower deck are in the way. Second, the filter always drips a fair amount of oil as its being removed.

Is there some sort of extender people are using to avoid the mess?

I'm buying a PIG Form-A-Funnel Flexible Draining Tool to see how that works, but it would be helpful is there was a way to extend the oil drain pipe a few inches.

Any ideas?

Kingwood990

Threads
I have an x540 and after two oil changes I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid making a mess when I change oil.

There are two issues, first, the oil change bolt is in a place where different parts of the body, supports & mower deck are in the way. Second, the filter always drips a fair amount of oil as its being removed.

I'm buying a PIG Form-A-Funnel Flexible Draining Tool to see how that works, but it would be helpful is there was a way to extend the oil drain pipe a few inches.

Any ideas?

What I have been doing on my X520 is I take a funnel and a one gallon milk jug or empty 2 liter soda bottle to catch the oil. It is a little messy but if you have a can of brake cleaner spray that on the spilled oil and take a clean rag to wipe it up.

Kryten

Threads
I've not tried to do this, but I wonder if you could use rags to protect from the oil dripping whilst you are doing it? Old sheets or whatever could then be thrown away afterwards, and would be absorbent.

Kingwood990

Threads
That's what I forgot.
Rags work great to catch the oil. They are also great when changing the fuel filter.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

Any ideas?

Determine what thread you have and get a short pipe nipple and cap...
Paper towels are perfect for what little clean up you may have... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Any ideas?
My JD has a huge, close fitting mower deck and it is impossible to get any good size drain pan under the plug...I use a four foot long section of old PVC rain gutter to direct oil to the pan, it also works great for when I pull the filter on the side of the engine, first I put some paper towels under the filter, then place the gutter section under the filter, then remove the filter. Works great for both tasks. :thumbsup:

jenkinsph

Threads
I use a method similar to JDGreen, instead of gutter I use a short length of 4" sheet metal pipe that isn't seamed together this makes a good trough to catch the oil.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The filter - loosen the filter so it can be turned by hand but doesn't leak. Drill about a 1/4" hole into the filter bottom at 12:00 o'clock. Place drain pan under filter and rotate filter counter clockwise until the drilled hole is at 6:00 o'clock.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The filter - loosen the filter so it can be turned by hand but doesn't leak. Drill about a 1/4" hole into the filter bottom on about a 45ー angle at 12:00 o'clock. Place drain pan under filter and rotate filter counter clockwise until the drilled hole is at 6:00 o'clock.

Filters are always going to be a bit messy... your method sounds as good as any I have seen... they are just usually located in bad spots to get to cleanly... :smile:KennyV

jenkinsph

Threads
The filter - loosen the filter so it can be turned by hand but doesn't leak. Drill about a 1/4" hole into the filter bottom at 12:00 o'clock. Place drain pan under filter and rotate filter counter clockwise until the drilled hole is at 6:00 o'clock.

Good Idea:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope I can remember this:biggrin: