water cleaning decks

jd335

Threads
i had to buy a rider last fall it has the water hose hook up to clean the deck does this system work good and does it shorten the life of the bearings in the blade housing im hoping it works ok bets scraping the deck with putty knife each time.

LandN

Threads
i had to buy a rider last fall it has the water hose hook up to clean the deck does this system work good and does it shorten the life of the bearings in the blade housing im hoping it works ok bets scraping the deck with putty knife each time.

HI JD335, i have the hose hook up on my little toro push mower and it really does a nice job of cleaning the 'fresh' grass on the bottom of the deck, i found that i had to hook up after every cutting because it didn't do that well on 'build-up' accumulated grass.i can't say about the bearings though no problems yet.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your bearings will have seals on them... when the seal fails to the point that water gets in from clean up... there will be a lot of dirt and other things getting int it...
A good flushing with water is going to keep things clean.
I would not necessarily want to submerge the thing or use a power washer directly at the seals...
On your rider if the mower spindles are grease able, a shot of grease will push out any water, If they are not grease able then they are sealed, and this will not be an issue... :smile:KennyV

jd335

Threads
thanks for the info all my pullys have grease fittings it's just that normally something that easy has it's problems later on.

jross

Threads
It depends on the mower. I received a Cub Cadet 1600 for free and the instructions say not to wash under the deck because it could cause early bearing failure. There are no grease fittings ( yet), and it is a cheap rider. I think it is atrocious that a manufacturer would even put out an unwashable mower deck.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...I think it is atrocious that a manufacturer would even put out an unwashable mower deck.

OR a deck without serviceable spindles with grease zerks.... :smile:KennyV