Wash ports in Hustlers--anyone done it? Likes, dislikes in other brands? Cleaners?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Wash ports in Hustlers--anyone done it? Likes, dislikes in other brands? Cleaners?
A couple of flat topped car ramps ( if you can still get them in the US ) and a pressure washer with a long tube will work a lot better and then you have two very useful tools.
ramps to get under your mower and a pressure washer.
Top end wshers have extensions and you will probably need 2 to get far enough back to get the right angles a miss out on a shower.
I use ramps a lot you just have to remember to lift the castors and turn them 180 before you try & reverse back down
If you lay a strip of carpet upside down under the rams you should be able to swing them out of the way easily. Even easier if it is on a hard stand area.

As for wash decks & spindle bearings, I have done about 4 time cutters with wash decks that were less then 2 years old because the owners ( home ) washed them out over the lawn then left the mower there

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Wash ports in Hustlers--anyone done it? Likes, dislikes in other brands? Cleaners?
wash ports are a gimmick..........if you are going to really clean a deck you will have to put the hose nozzle up under it

I agree most washout ports that I have used only do about half the job, you still end up with a hose nozzle under the mower. Mostly I just use a plastic scraper and clean the deck when it needs to be cleaned.

mhavanti

Threads
DSC04378.JPGDSC04379.JPGDSC04380.JPGAs promised, wash port in Raptor SD60.

mhavanti

Threads
Check with your dealer, possibly eBay, Amazon, Ace Hardware, etc. You can also join the Hustler Mower Owners Official Group in Facebook for most all your information needs by factory reps, dealer owners, techs, landscapers, etc. at this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HustlerMowerOwners

Cedric Stone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm down with pneumonia at the moment, however, as soon as I can get up and out, I'll run (walk) to the Garage Mahal and shoot a photo or two for you.

Actually, it is a very simple install. Main thing you want to do is place the port where it is inboard enough to sit over the top of the lifting portion of the blade and direct the double head of the port toward the blade and the outer curve of the deck. There are two holes required to be successful. I didn't drill them, however, I am a master machinist and I can say that anyone can do it regardless of your expertise in drill bits and drill motors.

Just make sure the mower deck is off the ground enough to be able to get under the deck enough to see clearly to get your measurement for layout. Then move back to the top of the deck to place the larger of the two holes for the body of the port to protrude thru the deck. The second hole is the smaller of the two, most likely a quarter inch hole do hold the port direction in place. The direction of the port, once again, is very important, otherwise you'll only be shooting water under the deck and not breaking the compacted grass loose from the deck assembly.

I will get the photos up soon.

Good luck,

Max
I run a Hustler X-1, with a 54" cutter-bar deck, center discharge [and JD Lawn sweep to pick clippings and mess]. All works ok for 2-3acre lawn plus neighbors.Currently flush out and scrape stuck-on grass and stuff. Not enough room under deck when fully lifted by mower linkage about 50 mm & hose flush pretty ineffective.
So mower is strung up with a sky-hook [2 ton chain-block] and tri-pod, about 2m to access under c/bar deck with hose or w/blaster & scrapper.Do that 1-2 times/yr. Have cleaned the inner deck down to bare metal and painted with chassis-black, tar based paint....but the grass etc still sticks/clumps/compacts.
I figure a 'flushing-port', perhaps 2-3, in the right place on the deck, would reduce the risk to the operator being crushed with 1/4 of a tonne of way-would Hustler! Its a good mower....made of real USA steel, the Kawasaki motors ok too, but I'd hate the deck to fizz-out.b/f it kills me. My friendly Hustler agent knows nothing of 'flushing-ports'? So Ive got to find a picture of a 'nipple' thing to copy and mount wherever. I'll keep searching the forum. Any suggestions.
Regards,
Ced, Tauranga, New Zealand

mhavanti

Threads
DSC04378 Small.jpg