Wanting to get back into a Scag

Sonders

Threads
I sold my old Turf Tiger a while back when I started having issues with it. Ended up with a Hustler Z4. Not nearly as happy with this mower as I was with TT. Buddy who has a mowing business has an 11' model TT w/ kawasaki 29 hp dfi 61" deck and 1500 hrs. Currently at dealer being gone through and new pumps being installed. He wants $5k for it. Would this be a good buy? Or should I be concerned about the hrs? Also have seen a couple low hr Tiger Cats w/ 61" deck around. How are they? I've heard before they are underpowered w/ small pumps. I'll just be mowing 2-3 acres at my place with it. What do you guys think?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I sold my old Turf Tiger a while back when I started having issues with it. Ended up with a Hustler Z4. Not nearly as happy with this mower as I was with TT. Buddy who has a mowing business has an 11' model TT w/ kawasaki 29 hp dfi 61" deck and 1500 hrs. Currently at dealer being gone through and new pumps being installed. He wants $5k for it. Would this be a good buy? Or should I be concerned about the hrs? Also have seen a couple low hr Tiger Cats w/ 61" deck around. How are they? I've heard before they are underpowered w/ small pumps. I'll just be mowing 2-3 acres at my place with it. What do you guys think?

The turf tiger is the most powerful mower in scag's line. It is over kill for 2 to 3 acres, but if that's what you want then you should be fine. Personally, if I were looking into getting a scag, and was considering spending $5k on a used tt, And wanted a 61" mower, then I would finance a new 61" tiger cat. It will cost more than $5k, but you will be getting a new commercial machine with warranty. Several on this site use them for their lawn care business and really like them. They have fx series Kawi engines, and zt3400 commercial hydros.

Honda Tech

Threads
I agree with SHughes717. The TT would be overkill for your application and 1500 hrs is a lot of hours, but the Scag itself should still have another good 1500 hrs in it.
For your application, the Tiger Cat is even a bit over-kill, but you will be very happy with the performance and durability. Scag is very good at matching components for applications, so whomever suggested that the pumps were to small and it was underpowered has no clue what they are talking about. I wish I had 3+ acres to mow, I would definitely have a Scag Tiger Cat or Cheetah.

Happy Mowing!!

Sonders

Threads
Thanks for the insight Shughes. I was actually thinking of calling the nearest Scag dealers and checking prices of the Tiger Cats. I've seen a few ads by two different dealers for promotional deals being ran on them; may have to see what thats all about.

Sonders

Threads
Honda Tech I've been looking at the Cheetah's ever since they came out, just assumed they would be higher price then the Tiger Cat. I'd rather have plenty of mower than not enough. We are eventually going to be buying more property and building a new house, so I'm trying to plan ahead and have a good sized mower in case I end up with more to mow.

kwak

Threads
They have fx series Kawi engines, and zt3400 commercial hydros.
Unless they changed this year the Tiger Cats have separate pumps an wheel motors.

The Cheetah is considered a step up from the Tiger Cat an is more expensive.

Honda Tech

Threads
You are correct. The Cheetah is a little more than a comparable Tiger Cat. The Cheetah has an isolated operator suspension system, which makes the ride much more comfortable on the rougher yards and they incorporate Heavy-Duty integrated Transaxles among the many other features.
The Tiger Cat , most models have a suspension seat and all have independent pumps and wheel-motors.
Either way, both drive systems are proven to be both durable and effective drives.
I would recommend a demo of each comparable models. If I were to use a comparison, I would say the Tiger Cat is like a Toyota and the Cheetah is like a Lexus.
They both use the same Velocity Deck, so cut performance is not the issue. The tractor itself is were the differences separate one from the other.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unless they changed this year the Tiger Cats have separate pumps an wheel motors.

The Cheetah is considered a step up from the Tiger Cat an is more expensive.

You are right. My apologies. The cheetah has hydrogear zt5400 hydros. Top of hydrogear's line. The cheetah has a high range for transport that can reach speeds of 16mph, and a low range for mowing (10 mph range). The cheetah will cost about $2k more. I think a 48" or 52" tiger cat would be in the best size for what the op has to mow.

Honda Tech

Threads
Just to keep it honest. The Cheetah 48" & 52" use the Hydro-Gear ZT-3400 Transaxles and the 61" & 72 Cheetah use the ZT-5400 Transaxle which is a 2-speed....Fast and Faster!

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to keep it honest. The Cheetah 48" & 52" use the Hydro-Gear ZT-3400 Transaxles and the 61" & 72 Cheetah use the ZT-5400 Transaxle which is a 2-speed....Fast and Faster!

Again, that is true. I wasn't even thinking of the smaller cheetahs. If I were going to purchase a cheetah over a tiger cat it would have to be at least the 61". The mower I own has the same zt5400 hydros as the larger cheetahs. Mine just doesn't utilize the high range option. Even in low range I can remove the lever adjustment bolts and reach speeds up to about 12 mph. Not going to get a very high quality cut at much over 8 to 10 mph though.