Walmart snapper

My_guy99

Threads
So why would they do this! This just downgrades the brand so much! Looks like I need to keep shopping

dad7432

Threads
One reason: to make lots of money. Snapper is now just another brand name in the Briggs empire. They will sell lots of devalued cheap mowers with lots of Briggs engines. Anybody look at the new rear engine riders from Snapper?

Rickochet

Threads
Anybody look at the new rear engine riders from Snapper?
I bought one from a dealer and really like it. I had a 2012 RE Snapper (28" high vac) and got the new 2013 33" (disc drive). Only one mowing but it is a great improvement over the old model. The ride is much better I think mainly to getting away front tube frame. Turning radius is tighter. The blade engage handle is back up on the steering column with a round steering wheel. There is no blade brake pedal to keep depressed. Reverse mowing can be done single handed. You just have to momentarily turn a spring loaded plastic key then shift and go. The bigger mowing deck is a plus.

The only negative I have so far is the shift plate. The old RE Rider has specific notches for each speed. The new one only has notches in Neutral, the lowest speed and the highest speed. The lowest speed is too slow and when shift out of that notch to make it go a little faster the shift handle creeps forward about and inch and the mower gets going too fast. In some pictures I see on some websites it appears that the shift notches were cut into the red body itself. On mine there is a opening in the fender with a black plate bolted to the fender that has the speed notches cut into it. I don't know why they didn't cut more notches for each speed. I may end up doing that myself.

Also, this isn't an issue for me, but the B&S 12.5 hp engine on mine does not have an oil filter (no oil pump) and may have lube issues if you have a hilly lot with lots of side hill mowing.

I forgot to mention that the red body on the mower looks like molded fiberglass but is actually a heavy gauge steel and should be super durable.

A couple of other points is that this mower comes with a spring loaded mulching cover already on it. It also comes with a discharge chute that easily snaps in after raising the mulching chute so you don't need to buy a mulching kit. Also note that these do not have the stand-on-end capability the original RE had.

Attachments

• Snappershifterplate.JPG
    Snappershifterplate.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also, this isn't an issue for me, but the B&S 12.5 hp engine on mine does not have an oil filter (no oil pump) and may have lube issues if you have a hilly lot with lots of side hill mowing.

Unless the engine is full pressure lube, even if you have an oil filter, and pump, the engine is still splash lube. On some of the engine all the oil pump does is pump oil through the oil filter. It doesn't supply oil to any bearings.

Rickochet

Threads
Unless the engine is full pressure lube, even if you have an oil filter, and pump, the engine is still splash lube. On some of the engine all the oil pump does is pump oil through the oil filter. It doesn't supply oil to any bearings.
I don't know all of the technical details about engine lubrication but my dealer suggested that the 2013 Snapper RE might not be a good choice if you do a lot of hill mowing. The Snapper manual also suggests not using it if mowing slopes in excess of 17 ー.