Walking speed of Toro mower is too fast

JoeTheAuthor

Forum Newbie
I have a Toro 20379 self-propelled, walk behind mower, with a Honda 160 cc engine. When I pull the bar to make the machine go, it goes at too fast a pace for me to keep up. Is there a way to slow it down, or reduce the top speed?

Thanks!
 
You can adjust how fast it goes by loosing the knob on the left hand side of the handle and pulling the cable toward you to slow down the engagement. Variable speed on this model is controlled buy how far you pull up on the lower engagement handle.
 
You can adjust how fast it goes by loosing the knob on the left hand side of the handle and pulling the cable toward you to slow down the engagement. Variable speed on this model is controlled buy how far you pull up on the lower engagement handle.
Do you mean the heavy, encased cable, or the thinner, unwrapped cable? Also, if I do as you say, will the rpms of the engine be affected?

Thanks in advance.

Joe
 
You can adjust how fast it goes by loosing the knob on the left hand side of the handle and pulling the cable toward you to slow down the engagement. Variable speed on this model is controlled buy how far you pull up on the lower engagement handle.
I have the same problem. Have reduced cable length as far as one can. I pull up on the handle slowly and there is no slow speed, once the mechanism engages it full speed ahead. Not a good self propelled machine.
 
Don't hold the speed lever all the way down, adjust your grip to feather the lever. Adjusting the cable does help, so try that as well.

Basically, the way most of these systems work is adjusting belt slip amount.
 
Back
Top