Walbro WYL-series Carbs: Are Different Models Compatible?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
I have a Makita hedge trimmer (model EH760). I'm pretty sure I need to replace the carb. I've rebuilt it and installed new fuel lines and a fuel filter. I've also eliminated ignition problems.

On the body of the Walbro carb is stamped just "WYL" but that's a series of carbs, not just one model. I'm not sure which model I have but I did look up the Makita part number for the carb (5256008000). Doing some Googling led me to believe that 5256008000 is probably either a Wyl-41 or s Wyl-41-1.

I think the rebuild kits are the same for all WYL-series carbs (but I'm not sure about that.) Also, from the photos, I can't tell one WYL-series carb from another. :confused2:

Are all of the WYL-series carbs interchangeable? They look like all of them could bolt on but maybe the main jet would be different or something like that.

Does anybody know for sure what model (WYL-???) I should order?
 
The pictures of the carbs I have found are so generic there is no way to tell. A lot of the time the differences in carbs are just how the cables attach to them. At that price $139.00 I would not chance a purchase to see if it will work. So now you get to decide whether to clean or replace the carb.
 
The exact model number of the carb is etched or stamped into the body of the carb. Normally Walbro puts is in one of the corners of the main body.
 
If you want a new carb, don't get a Walbro! The price is ridiculous and the carb is not even adjustable.

I would recommend one of the following two carbs. They are both slightly larger than your current carb because they are fully adjustable:

This one is $12, ships from China, and should fit your machine without any modifications. ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-For-Walbro-Ryobi-Shindaiwa-Troy-Bilt-MTD-Gas-String-Trimmer-Carb-/311500385978?var=&hash=item4886deaeba:m:mJ8WGA8XIfLoAjwdL87R94A

This one is basically the same thing as the first one, but it's $17 and ships from the USA. ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Carb-For-Troy-Bilt-753-04745-MTD-753-1225-Ryobi-650R-825R-875R-890R-/222039738582?var=&hash=item33b29988d6:m:m23sFjepi_vVZALfyUVn4Kg

Compare your carb to the pictures before you buy one of these. Before you buy it you will have to select which part number/model number it replaces. Just select one of the Walbro part numbers, it doesn't matter which one. If it looks like it will fit, it will. When you get the new one put on, you will have to adjust it with the mixture screws (located on the side and top of the carb.) If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. :smile:
 
The exact model number of the carb is etched or stamped into the body of the carb. Normally Walbro puts is in one of the corners of the main body.

I would expect a complete model number but I've looked all over this one -- all I could find is "WYL".

Thanks for the response.
 
If you want a new carb, don't get a Walbro! The price is ridiculous and the carb is not even adjustable.

I would recommend one of the following two carbs. They are both slightly larger than your current carb because they are fully adjustable:

This one is $12, ships from China, and should fit your machine without any modifications. ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-For-Walbro-Ryobi-Shindaiwa-Troy-Bilt-MTD-Gas-String-Trimmer-Carb-/311500385978?var=&hash=item4886deaeba:m:mJ8WGA8XIfLoAjwdL87R94A

This one is basically the same thing as the first one, but it's $17 and ships from the USA. ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Carb-For-Troy-Bilt-753-04745-MTD-753-1225-Ryobi-650R-825R-875R-890R-/222039738582?var=&hash=item33b29988d6:m:m23sFjepi_vVZALfyUVn4Kg

Compare your carb to the pictures before you buy one of these. Before you buy it you will have to select which part number/model number it replaces. Just select one of the Walbro part numbers, it doesn't matter which one. If it looks like it will fit, it will. When you get the new one put on, you will have to adjust it with the mixture screws (located on the side and top of the carb.) If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. :smile:

I'm going to give that a try -- the one shipping from the states.

If I can't figure out how to adjust it (hopefully it comes with directions), I may ask for your help. :cool:

Thank you much.
 
I'm going to give that a try -- the one shipping from the states.

If I can't figure out how to adjust it (hopefully it comes with directions), I may ask for your help. :cool:

Thank you much.

It does not come with directions. You just install it and try to start the hedge trimmer. It should start and run okay without any adjustment, if it needs adjustment I will do my best to help you adjust it. I'm not really sure how to adjust it myself, the adjustment screws are not labeled and I don't know what they are supposed to control. They do make a difference though. :laughing:
 
It does not come with directions. You just install it and try to start the hedge trimmer. It should start and run okay without any adjustment, if it needs adjustment I will do my best to help you adjust it. I'm not really sure how to adjust it myself, the adjustment screws are not labeled and I don't know what they are supposed to control. They do make a difference though. :laughing:

If there are two adjustment screws then one is probably high-speed (usually marked with a tiny "H") and the other is low-speed. At least that's the way it normally is.

I guess I can find out via trial and error. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the help.
 
If there are two adjustment screws then one is probably high-speed (usually marked with a tiny "H") and the other is low-speed. At least that's the way it normally is.

I guess I can find out via trial and error. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the help.

I don't think either one will be marked on this carb. One of them is on the side of the carb and the other is down in the center of the throttle valve (accessed from the top of the carb.)
 
I haven't received the carb for the Makita EH760 yet but I should have it in a couple of days.

However, since I have had a similar issue with a string trimmer (Troy Bilt TB90BC, Walbro 1587 WT827A), I searched eBay for a carb for it, ordered one, and installed it. I'm very happy with the result... it's starts and runs like new. :cool: That trimmer had been a low priority since I have two other working trimmers but I'm glad to have it back in the fleet.
 
Back
Top