Vintage Lawn Mower Ads

Everything is relative, $280.00 was a lot of money in those times. Minimum wage in the mid-sixties was $1.25 per hour.
 
I think your still missing something. A mustang in 1965 cost $1950.00 or so, today that car is nearing $30,000 or more. Today, you can get a lawn tractor for $1,000.00, which I would think is cheap money. Now when you talk quality that's another thing. You pay big money for high quality today.
 
Another way to look at comparative values over time... (parity)
A barrel of crude oil all through the 50's and 60's was most always less than $2, generally $1.80 a Barre)l.

so that rider mower was selling for the equivalent of 155 times the price of A barrel of oil...
If you price a rider today at 155 times the price of a barrel it will be OVER $15,000.00 ... (crude price today is $97.96 a barrel)...

Mowers are 'cheaper' today ... by comparison. :smile:KennyV
 
Wow these ads are cool! I bought a couple vintage snapper ads off eBay, both from early 80s. Love the old red & white snappers...I got four of them. And I love seeing ads like these from back when mowers were built right. Thanks for posting these!
 
Man that's cool. Built when tractors looked like tractors and not insects like all the garbage coming out of the big box stores now. That's a machine there. Thanks for posting that. I'm new to the forum but to tomorrow I'll try to figure out how to post pics of my old snappers. Maybe the old ads I have too.
 
Back
Top