Vine and how to get rid of it

Zeroturn

Threads
I think it's a morning glory vine and it keeps coming back! It's threw our front flower beds. We even dug out one whole side and it came back! I can't find the roots... how do you get rid of a pesky vine?

Bessy

Threads
It is actually called snakeroot, or chokeroot it is a perennial morning glory. The only sure way to get rid of it is to dig it up.

Zeroturn

Threads
That isn't even a sure way. We roto-tilled up the whole flower bed and the only thing that grew back was the stupid vine! :thumbdown: I'm not sure what else we can do!

Bessy

Threads
i encouraged it to grow in a barren spot, it seems to like it there and it fills in nicely and has really nice blooms. I gave it a trellis and let it go.

Zeroturn

Threads
I wouldn't mind that, but right now it pops up everywhere. It actually grows on all the flowers and kills them if I don't get it soon enough. I think I"ll put a trellis up and see if I can stop it.

monica123

Threads
I just re-directed mine again today it was growing too close to my flower beds so encouraged it again to go up the fence posts and away from my plants.

Usedtorent

Threads
The only problem with using round-up is that you will kill everything around it. I'm sure you don't want to do that right? You just want to get rid of the vine. I'm not sure how you can other than digging it up and making sure you get all the roots.

Bessy

Threads
What about moving all the other plants temporarily and then using round up? t's a hard thing I realize but probably easier than trying to find all the underground roots.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can apply round up with a paint brush directly to the vine... being careful not to 'paint ' your surrounding plants... It will only kill the plant that it is applied ...

A little time consuming, I would not want to do 40 acres of beans that way but for your garden or yard... Not that big of a problem.

It would be similar to wicking but with a lot more direction... KennyV
BTW you do not need 100% coverage, If you contact 5% of the surface it should kill the plant and roots.

Last edited: