Vibration when mowing

87corvette

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a PR1842ST Poulan Pro riding mower. Bought it used, It has a vibration when the mower blades are engaged. The Blades are flush on the star mounts. Any thoughts?

87corvette

Forum Newbie
Threads
Vibration could be anything from unbalanced blades, to bad bearing in a spindle or idler pulley, to a bad spot on the deck belt.
I installed new blades and checked them for balance before installation. I am guessing that the spindles are worn and need to be replaced. Is that an easy job? I appreciate your advice.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Find the problem before you replace things or you will end up replacing things that were not broken and may even make things worse .
Remove the belt and spin all of the blades & pulleys .
They should be smooth & quiet
Check the belt for burned spots, hard patches, cracks and missing bits

87corvette

Forum Newbie
Threads
I installed new blades and checked them for balance before installation. I am guessing that the spindles are worn and need to be replaced. Is that an easy job? I appreciate your advice.
Hi, yes it ends up that I have a bad spindle. Can you tell me if it is easy or hard to change? And are there any tricks that you can give to the to assist in this repair? and where would you suggest I purchase the necessary parts?

87corvette

Forum Newbie
Threads
Find the problem before you replace things or you will end up replacing things that were not broken and may even make things worse .
Remove the belt and spin all of the blades & pulleys .
They should be smooth & quiet
Check the belt for burned spots, hard patches, cracks and missing bits
Hi, yes it ends up that I have a bad spindle. Can you tell me if it is easy or hard to change? And are there any tricks that you can give to the to assist in this repair? and where would you suggest I purchase the needed parts. Again thanks for the help.
Paul

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You buy a replacement spindle
Hold the blade & undo the pulley nut
Leave the housing in the deck because they usually break hen you try to remove them
The spindle & blade will pull out ( Might need a hammer ) to the bottom
Lower bearing should stay on the spindle , upper will need to be knocked out
A replacement spindle should come with new bearing fitted to the bottom but no upper bearing,, replace the bearing
IF you get an after market one be careful as some are metric threads so should come with a top nut
Also there may e a spacing bush under the pulley, do not loose it .

Born2Mow

Threads
Hi, yes it ends up that I have a bad spindle. Can you tell me if it is easy or hard to change?
For the average Joe without a shop full of pullers and presses, the easier way might be to replaces the entire spindle assembly. Of course, that will be more expensive, but that will get you new bearings, new seals, and a new (straight) spindle shaft.