Very steep slope

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got a new account. The yard is very tricky. It is on a very steep hil. To make things worse, there is this very steep slop of about 8 feet wide and atleast 200 feet long. The previous LCO would trim the whole thing. Tha lady wanted it mowed ideally. I said that I would do my possible mowing it. I tried mowing it from one end to another, but I had never experienced such a slope. I was just not able to mow straight (obviously). So bad that I just trimmed the whole slope (horrible). Would there be any way to mow this slope? I was thinking from going bottom to top, but that would take a very long time and I think it would be dangerous since the mower is in front of me and the moment I would slip or trip I get a 110 lbs of metal on me and my face. I also had to phone her and tell her that I had to raise my price since trimming takes much more time than mowing.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Up and down may be your best option. What degree slope?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would just have my wife use the trimmer.

She can cut it faster then I could with a push mower.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Or use a front wheel drive push mower. They do hills so much better then the rear wheel drive.

edd

Threads
a cheap push mower if that is the only place I would use it or a walk behind.......my experience is you spend extra time making passes on a riding mower trying to stay on the hill

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I got a new account. The yard is very tricky. It is on a very steep hill. To make things worse, there is this very steep slop of about 8 feet wide and at least 200 feet long. The previous LCO would trim the whole thing. Tha lady wanted it mowed ideally. I said that I would do my possible mowing it. I tried mowing it from one end to another, but I had never experienced such a slope. I was just not able to mow straight (obviously). So bad that I just trimmed the whole slope (horrible). Would there be any way to mow this slope? I was thinking from going bottom to top, but that would take a very long time and I think it would be dangerous since the mower is in front of me and the moment I would slip or trip I get a 110 lbs of metal on me and my face. I also had to phone her and tell her that I had to raise my price since trimming takes much more time than mowing.

Can you post some pictures of the slope, it may help us understand a little better what your faced with and find an answer for the problem.

Threads
Or use a front wheel drive push mower. They do hills so much better then the rear wheel drive.

Why do you like FWD mowers for hills? Won't you not get much power because the front wheels don't want to stay on the ground?

LoCo86

Threads
Why do you like FWD mowers for hills? Won't you not get much power because the front wheels don't want to stay on the ground?

It makes for turning the mower on hills easier by having free rolling back wheels. You just have to use a little more muscle. Which it seems no one wants to do.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the input guys!
I can get some pictures next week when I do it again. I don't have the % grade, but it is very steep. Almost a freaking wall. I have a hard time standing on it.

Thing is I don't have a fwd mower. I do have a cheapo push mower. Would that be ok? I just don't like the look of it trimmed since there are lot of grass clippings all over the place