Repairs verifying before buying

LX172trike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all. New to this forum, so please excuse the long post. I feel the more info I give the more accurate the answer. A little background, I've been an auto mechanic for 20+ yrs, this is my second Kawasaki engine I've worked on, the first one, FC150V ES21 that sat outside 4+ yrs, cleaned out and she started, runs great, going to make a generator.
I recently picked up a JD LX172 tractor(MOL17205331) 14hp engine(FC420V-AS10) E/NO(FC420VA39525) that had shut off while in use and then sat for 1 1/2yrs(according to owner). After charging the battery,draining gas tank and cleaning carb, changing oil, spraying wd40 in cylinder, replacing spark plug and rotating engine by hand to make sure nothing was locked up, I tried to start. No start crank, fuel pump is working, compression 150, no spark.
With the ign coil isolated, using my SST light/logic probe I have pulsing signal on the grounding spade of the ignition coil(JD#am109209 JD parts catalog) while cranking, so the coil is picking up field from flywheel. The ign. coil ohm's are as follows 200scale: grounding spade to ign. coil bracket .9ohm both ways, 20000scale: spade to coil(plug wire screw) 9.71ohm both ways, 20000scale: coil(plug wire screw) to coil bracket 9.71ohm both ways. Air gap between flywheel and coil .020"(business card thickness).
Checking the single wire electrical coil(JD#M73484 JD parts catalog)BM11 stamped on front, mounted on right side of engine near dip stick, the ohm's read 1.33(meter set 2000 ohm) both ways. I cleaned the paint from around all bolt holes, anywhere the shroud touched the block, the ign. coil and electrical coil mounting areas and attached a ground wire to the mounting screw of the elec. coil and the block and have added a second ground wire from battery to shroud to insure good grounds. Putting everything back together, the mower started and ran about 5 minutes, charging 13.86volts, then slowed and died. No start crank, no spark, pulsing signal is present @ ign. coil. With all I have found I am thinking ignition coil.
Have I missed anything? Is it better to use JD or Kawasaki parts? Thank you all in advance. Again, I appologize for the long post.
God Bless

Last edited:

LX172trike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there anyone here that can answer this post and so I can get this mower back up and running? I'd rather not start throwing parts @ this. Thank you and God Bless.

PJ

Threads
Hey all. New to this forum, so please excuse the long post. I feel the more info I give the more accurate the answer. A little background, I've been an auto mechanic for 20+ yrs, this is my second Kawasaki engine I've worked on, the first one, FC150V ES21 that sat outside 4+ yrs, cleaned out and she started, runs great, going to make a generator.
I recently picked up a JD LX172 tractor(MOL17205331) 14hp engine(FC420V-AS10) E/NO(FC420VA39525) that had shut off while in use and then sat for 1 1/2yrs(according to owner). After charging the battery,draining gas tank and cleaning carb, changing oil, spraying wd40 in cylinder, replacing spark plug and rotating engine by hand to make sure nothing was locked up, I tried to start. No start crank, fuel pump is working, compression 150, no spark.
With the ign coil isolated, using my SST light/logic probe I have pulsing signal on the grounding spade of the ignition coil(JD#am109209 JD parts catalog) while cranking, so the coil is picking up field from flywheel. The ign. coil ohm's are as follows 200scale: grounding spade to ign. coil bracket .9ohm both ways, 20000scale: spade to coil(plug wire screw) 9.71ohm both ways, 20000scale: coil(plug wire screw) to coil bracket 9.71ohm both ways. Air gap between flywheel and coil .020"(business card thickness).
Checking the single wire electrical coil(JD#M73484 JD parts catalog)BM11 stamped on front, mounted on right side of engine near dip stick, the ohm's read 1.33(meter set 2000 ohm) both ways. I cleaned the paint from around all bolt holes, anywhere the shroud touched the block, the ign. coil and electrical coil mounting areas and attached a ground wire to the mounting screw of the elec. coil and the block and have added a second ground wire from battery to shroud to insure good grounds. Putting everything back together, the mower started and ran about 5 minutes, charging 13.86volts, then slowed and died. No start crank, no spark, pulsing signal is present @ ign. coil. With all I have found I am thinking ignition coil.
Have I missed anything? Is it better to use JD or Kawasaki parts? Thank you all in advance. Again, I appologize for the long post.
God Bless

Hi
You need to check the safety cut out system. The aditional ground wire could cause problems or the battery ran dead in the period you ran it. If you have the wiring diagram check the safety cutout system

Hope you get it fixed soon
Regards
PJ