Ventrac Hill Climb Competition

Raw Dodge

Threads
.. I commend Ventrac for making the videos they do, just wish they were realistic. Any of those mowers could climb those hills mowing nothing but dust, add 6-8" of wet grass which is more like average mowing conditions for hillsides. IMO only the kubota 32.5hp gas has the power to run the 7 ft deck and climb hills in heavy growing conditions. The kubota 25hp Diesel shouldn't be in the test as it isn't adequately powered for steep hills and a 7ft deck,it should be limited to the 60" deck on 30 degree hills... Kind of misleading IMO.

Ventrac

Threads
.. I commend Ventrac for making the videos they do, just wish they were realistic. Any of those mowers could climb those hills mowing nothing but dust, add 6-8" of wet grass which is more like average mowing conditions for hillsides. IMO only the kubota 32.5hp gas has the power to run the 7 ft deck and climb hills in heavy growing conditions. The kubota 25hp Diesel shouldn't be in the test as it isn't adequately powered for steep hills and a 7ft deck,it should be limited to the 60" deck on 30 degree hills... Kind of misleading IMO.

The goal of this video is not to be misleading :thumbdown: . In this comparison mowers are running up the same course which unfortunately after one pass the grass is already cut. It would have been nice to find a location with a longer bank where we could be cutting a new pass each time where it is fairly uniform.

Mowing 6-8" of wet grass is not a realistic comparison either, with the MJ840 that is. If we were talking about the HQ680, that would be more realistic for that type of grass cutting. The MJ840 is a fine finish mower, not meant to be used in applications where the grass is rarely mowed. So even if we were mowing grass in each pass if we had a different location, we wouldn't be mowing large amounts with the MJ840 because it would be a very maintained location like you'd find on a golf course where the application IS realistic for that mower. The primary purpose was to put our most power demanding attachment with each engine, which in my experience, when mowing 'nothing' the MJ840 will take more power than the HQ680 mowing 8" of grass.

So, not a perfect comparison you are right, but I think it still helps answer some of the questions that we receive from our customers and dealers when it comes to engine comparisons.
We are looking to always come out with better material though so thanks for your feedback! :thumbsup:

Raw Dodge

Threads
I understand your position. However as a golf course superintendent who runs 2 steiner I can assure you that cutting 6-8" is totally normal for any course. First off fairways aren't steep enough to need a Ventrac and there cut 2-3x a week with low cut lightweight fairway mowers. The rough is not kept low and neat its left to grow and cut weekly at the most and with thunderstorms and lightning we end up with 4-6" height pretty much weekly and occasionally higher. No one's mowing steep 30 degree slopes 2-3x a week, if they were they would be down to dirt in 2 months from scuffing up and down the steep slope. I don't care how well they climb at 30 degrees you will get some wear if cutting excessively.
... I love your videos and products, but I still don't believe that the 25 diesel with 84" deck is suited for any steep slope mowing. In 2012, 25hp motors running a full hydrostatic drive(horsepower robbing) belong on 50"-60 decks at the most. For what that machine and deck cost with duals in the 30,000 range it should have performance to match the size of the deck and cost of the machine. What Ventrac really needed to do was go with the much stronger, longer lasting, more efficient 3000RPM diesels . There are so many to choose from in the 32-40hp range..The 3600rpm diesels are not the best choices for hp requirements of the 4500,but there cheaper and smaller than the 3000 rpm models and prevents Ventrac from having to make hydraulic pump alterations to run. them. So I understand it, but I don't think what's easiest and cheapest is always the best...

maplebeanfarms

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have to agree completely. The new diesel engines will not satisfy customers. Owning a 31hp diesel we do not want to go down to the kubota 25hp. If ventrac chose to go with the 3000 max rpm diesel engines they would have had to speed up there front pulley... Also a different pump configuration would have to be used...which wouldn't be that bad anyways as there existing pump doesn't have that much flow...and i'm not a mechanic or engineer by no means but there hydraulics are ridiculously loud! A new pump with larger diesel engine options would be smart choice, but would compromise there compactness. I guess we can't have it all