Venting a greenhouse?

bret

Threads
What are some good ways to vent a greenhouse? I was talking to someone and they told me that with the heat in there and the fans for the summer, it needs to be vented. Can I just gut a couple of raised panels that lift open?

grnspot110

Threads
In my 10' x10' greenhouse, I use a small fan on a timer. Fan came from Surplus Center - Hydraulics, Engines, Electrical and More. The vents above & to the sides of the fan are opened once the weather warms enough. Also have an aluminum storm door for the entrance, opposite the end you are looking at (picture is facing south) so I can open the sliding window in it. I also use a shade cloth over the greenhouse in late spring & summer. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• Gardens 2009 028 - Copy.jpg
    Gardens 2009 028 - Copy.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Gardens 2010 011 (Small).jpg
    Gardens 2010 011 (Small).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 5

173abn

Threads
What kind of fans you got?Are they gable fans ? In my G.H.[see my avater] I have two gable fans opposite each other w/ thermostats,I also have large windows w/screens I open plus because it's built onto my barn it gets constant airflow from it .as long as you get fresh air flowing in you should be OK.I'd use screens if possible to keep pests out. russ

grnspot110

Threads
The fan I use is behind the brown door in the picture, just a simple 10" fan. The two odd shaped panels above the fan (to the sides) pop out when the weather warms enough. also the two small doors beside the entrance open down for ventilation, as well as opening the storm glass.

The double "squirrel cage" fans in the top are inflating fans, they draw air from outside! ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• HPIM1999 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM1999 - Copy.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM1998 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM1998 - Copy.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 7

bret

Threads
Thanks for the visuals, that is basically what I was trying to visualize. I have vent holes that I plan to screen because I don't want to feed my plants to the bugs and 2 apparatuses like are in RV's that twist open.

I have 2 fans that also heat, I am trying to keep the plants warm. What kind of lights are those grnspot110? You use them for grow lights?

grnspot110

Threads
Just ordinary 4' florescents, I try to use new bulbs in them, work fine for starting seeds. I just crank them up as the plants get taller. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• Flower Gardens 2008 007 (Small).jpg
    Flower Gardens 2008 007 (Small).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Flower Gardens 2008 065a.jpg
    Flower Gardens 2008 065a.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 7

bret

Threads
Are they the hanging type that plug in? What wattage of bulbs is a good to start with? Continue with?

I was looking at "grow" lights, but they are expensive.

grnspot110

Threads
Are they the hanging type that plug in? What wattage of bulbs is a good to start with? Continue with?

I was looking at "grow" lights, but they are expensive.

Just 4' shop lights, 40 watt, I think. Have them on a timer. ~~ grnspot

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just 4' shop lights, 40 watt, I think. Have them on a timer. ~~ grnspot

My mom use to do the same... she preferred "Daylight" full spectrum light tubes... :smile:KennyV

bret

Threads
I think I need to go get me a couple. I saw them at the hardware store for $!5, that is a fraction of what they want for the actual grow lights.