Valve / Plumbing for Easy Oil Change?

TwoRails

Threads
Are there some kind of Easy oil drain kits available for small engines? I have a Briggs and Stratton XR1450 306cc on my cc chipper / shredder and the drain plug is behind the battery. I have to remove the battery And the battery box to change oil (see attached). I'd like to put in some kind of elbow and some piping with a valve to make easier and less messy.

Any tips or ideas?

Drain Plug Location.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked to see if there is a drain on the other side? If not you may have to pull the engine to install a 90 degree fitting, then extension and cap.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
boating shops will sell sump pumps cheaper than mower shops ( it is a volume thing ) .
A cheap syringe type should be less than $ 20
I have seen some maintenance kits sold with these in them as well.
Otherwise do as suggested and get a long flexible drain hose screw it in with some sealant into a totally clean hole
The ones with the bayonette fitting on the business ends seem to work better.

TwoRails

Threads
Sorry for the delay. I didn't get any email notifications that there were replies...

TwoRails

Threads
Have you checked to see if there is a drain on the other side? If not you may have to pull the engine to install a 90 degree fitting, then extension and cap.
It didn't even dawn on me to look for more than one drain plug! Yep, there's one on the other side with nothing in the way. Thanks!

TwoRails

Threads
boating shops will sell sump pumps cheaper than mower shops ( it is a volume thing ) .
A cheap syringe type should be less than $ 20
I have seen some maintenance kits sold with these in them as well.
Otherwise do as suggested and get a long flexible drain hose screw it in with some sealant into a totally clean hole
The ones with the bayonette fitting on the business ends seem to work better.
I use a vacuum and a couple of plastic lines to suck the oil out of my mower. The problem with this engine is the hole in the crank case for the dipstick is just barely large enough for the dipstick. I even pulled the dipstick tube to see why I couldn't get any 'Tygon' tubing down there.

TwoRails

Threads
Thanks to the post above, I found a drain plug that's easy to get to. I still want to extend it out with a pipe for easy/no mess draining.

An recommendations on a valve to go on the end? Or would any oil rated ball valve be OK?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
go to a mower shop and buy the extension kit.
They take about 10 minutes to fit
The hardest part is cleaning the hole in the sump so the sealer will work.
Then find a place to tie it up out of harms way .
Toro seem to be fitting then to their time cutters as standard down here .
Husqvarna had a optional one that was a good 2' long.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a straight pipe with a 90 degree elbow at the end pointing down with a pipe plug.

smalltowntex

Threads
Are there some kind of Easy oil drain kits available for small engines? I have a Briggs and Stratton XR1450 306cc on my cc chipper / shredder and the drain plug is behind the battery. I have to remove the battery And the battery box to change oil (see attached). I'd like to put in some kind of elbow and some piping with a valve to make easier and less messy.

Any tips or ideas?

View attachment 51444
drainzit.com they make a neat oil drain kit that is so simple. I have several installed on my different small engines. You will kick yourself for not having some of them sooner.