VA Clay

ReggieDeere

Threads
I want to start a garden in part of my back yard but I'm afraid that the quality of the soil is not good enough to grow anything. It is mostly clay. If I buy some top soil should I be okay?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depends on what is in the 'top soil' you buy...
Have yours tested, (most counties will do this if you take a proper sample in...).
It could be easier and co$t less to amend the soil you have... KennyV

Rip

Threads
If it's anything like this old red clay here in WNC it's actually full of nutrients. It's just so hard packed that plants can't get their roots to penetrate it. The bad part is, the more you till clay, the more it breaks down and the harder packed it becomes.

You have to add something like compost and sand to loosen it up and you should have a good garden.
As KennyV suggested... get a soil test and amend what you have.

Good luck,

Rip

ReggieDeere

Threads
Thanks for the advice guys. I talked to my neighbor today and he said that he grew a great garden with lots of tomato plants and peppers in his clay-filled soil. All though he did add some enriched dirt he bought at Lowes, and used miracle grow as well. I'm going to try it, I think I will be successful.:smile:

mamaA

Threads
Our area has a lot of clay too. In fact my parents' yard is almost all clay and they have had pretty good success with a garden. We are lucky as our soil is black and rich (and sandy in some spots). I think tilling in some compost before planting would do the trick.