Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a
Cratfman
Model 917.272760
04 LT1000
18 hp Brigg Straton
Hydrostatic transmission

It is using oil. The sparkplug is black and full of debris.I have searched the net found a lot
of people are having the same problem. And have
a lot of answers. But none saying it has been solved.

I heard one person say some thing about

(1) The reed valve in the breather was STUCK CLOSED. Test it by removing the assembly and covering it with a rag. Then run the engine for about 5 minutes to see if the oil smoke stops. It usually does. If that solves the problem, just go to your local dealer and buy a new crankcase reed valve. Under $10.00 for the kit, and 1 minute to install. Labor at the dealer is 15 minutes if they do it plus parts. The reed valve opens and closes with the pistons to allow excessive crankcase vapors to go into the carb on the down stroke of the pistons. With a bad reed valve stuck in the closed position, excessive crankcase pressure forces the oil vapor past the rings and into the combustion chamber where it is burned and smoke is the result. (2) This is a little harder to check. There is a screw under the carb going into the top of the crankcase. It hold the baffle plate on and I have found several times where the screw had sheared off. Now the plate is no longer held tightly in place and oil slung around inside the case is allowed to pass around the edges of the baffle plate. You can tell because the screw should be secure. If it is loose...tighten it. If it's missing...it has sheared off and it's time for an engine teardown.

Thank You
ooseven
2004 LT1000 Craftman
Model # 917.272760
Hydrostatic Trany
18 hp Brigg & Straton
Engine# 31H777
Type# 0202-E1
PartsDirect URL
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...dMod=917272760

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am assuming single cylinder OHV engine since partsdirect is down right now, and I don't have your engine model number info. With that in mind, I would bet you have a blown head gasket.