Used Mower Recommendation Needed

Jellyghost

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I am 45yo, and I have been moving 6 lawns this summer with 90s era Lawnboys and Milwaukee trimmer/blower. Next summer, I need to mow 9 lawns, and I need it to be easier and faster. What is a good used commercial mower I should consider? My buddy has a Wright Stander, and I am jealous. I don't have any small gates, but there are some slopes on these yards. I am hoping to purchase a mower for $3,000 or less.
Thank you!

TonyPrin

Threads
There are a few John Deere and Ariens zero turn mowers available for under $3,000, but I wouldn't go that route because you're getting a bargain basement machine. Instead, consider a quality new Snapper mower like the SPX could be a better choice. It will allow you several accessories which will help, as well.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
what size are the lawns?

Jellyghost

Forum Newbie
Threads
They varie, but they average at abou .25 acres. I am browsing used walk behinds, but I don't have a sense of relative quality. I would like one that is easily repairable and known for durability. I also want a trimmer and trimmer head recommendation.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you're going for a walk behind, i highly recommend a Honda. As far as trimmers go, Husqvarna, Stihl or Echo.

Jellyghost

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see hondas that look like standard mowers. Most of the big commercial walkbehinds I find seem to have kawasaki motors. Here are some I found interesting:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
OOOH, my bad. For some reason my brain took walk behind as meaning a small mower. Now i see what you mean.
Yes, Scag/Gravely and Ferris are good brands and you can't go wrong with a Kawasaki engine.
That 34" Gravely appears to have a Briggs and Stratton intek single, i'd stay away from it as their know for blowing head gaskets and failing camshafts.

Jellyghost

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is hydro better than a transmission?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is hydro better than a transmission?
I say no. Get an older machine that has belt drive. Way cheaper to keep running. Keep a pair of belts on the truck. Can get the mower going at the customers house in no time. In comparison having to haul it down to a super busy mower shop during peak mowing season LOL. And spending thousands to get it repaired. Finally you get a call 8 months later, your mower is ready sir LOL.

Stay far away from hydros, their oils and hoses, leaks, pump failures and the like. $$$$

Look for an older belt drive JD, SCAG or Snapper Pro.