Used 2 cycle mix in a four cycle pressure washer, now won't start

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Used 2 cycle mix in a four cycle pressure washer, now won't start
B4c

Lay off the starting fluid. It is made for diesels. It washes the oil off the cylinder walls, leading to accelerated piston and ring wear. I do mean ACCELERATED. Use carb cleaner, gas or wd-40 instead.

Good luck.

Jim

Jim

FYI, WD40 wont start engines anymore. They took out the propane that was in it years ago. Been like that ever since 1996.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
B4c Lay off the starting fluid. It is made for diesels. It washes the oil off the cylinder walls, leading to accelerated piston and ring wear. I do mean ACCELERATED. Use carb cleaner, gas or wd-40 instead. Good luck. Jim

Starting fluid now has a lubricant in it to prevent dry starts.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
But is it safe to use in small engines?

It is safe to use to start a engine not to keep it running.
I use a spray bottle with gas. Have for years

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jim

FYI, WD40 wont start engines anymore. They took out the propane that was in it years ago. Been like that ever since 1996.

I keep seeing that on this forum to use WD40 as a starting fluid. So I have tried it several times and never had any luck with WD40. Now I understand the reason.

possum

Threads
Just so folks will not do something silly with their can of WD40. Just cause the propane is gone does not make the product non flammable. I have seen many diesel engines started on WD40 since 1996. Plenty of gas ones as well. It is not a bomb anymore when for example it gets shorted out under a hood, trailer house, inside a dryer, flame, sparks etc. But it will still flame. It is still dangerous. It can still start a fire. It can still fire in an engine. Treat it like gasoline and you will be happy you did. Starting fluid has had lube in it since the first time I used it in the 70s. At least every bottle I tried did. I always looked. As far as starting diesel engines with it tractor trailer rigs, farm tractors, loaders, dozers, graders and about every other large diesel engine I have been around had a starting fluid port to screw a can onto and directions in the cab as to its use. My brotherinlaw would only use John Deere bottles.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My john Deere 644c has a cold start button. And I use JD bottles.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I keep seeing that on this forum to use WD40 as a starting fluid. So I have tried it several times and never had any luck with WD40. Now I understand the reason.

I just use carb cleaner. Best carb cleaner spray I used so far is Gold Eagle and 2nd best is Berryman B12 carb cleaner spray.

Gil

Threads
B4c

Lay off the starting fluid. It is made for diesels. It washes the oil off the cylinder walls, leading to accelerated piston and ring wear. I do mean ACCELERATED. Use carb cleaner, gas or wd-40 instead.

Good luck.

Jim

Yes, I know that. Only use it sparingly on engines that set a long time between use. Such as log splitter, power washer, shredder, etc. This may be a bit off subject, but what do you recommend to get a small engine to start that sets months, sometimes a year of more between use? Other than a complete tune up and fuel system cleaning including carb rebuilt each time you use? Will carb cleaner, WD-40 do as well as "Starter fluid"?