Export thread

US Postal Service Scolding

A

AndyMan

We were scolded by the US Postal service.

When the plow goes by, it scoops the snow up against our mailbox, and we just leave it there. Enough has built up that the mailman (excuse me, our postal carrier) can't reach the box from his truck. Instead of our mail, we received a note (he did manage to reach the box to leave the note (!!!) that until we properly clear a path for his vehicle, we will need to pick up our mail at the post office.

It's now shoveled right up near the box.

At least until it snows again...

Ric

Ric

Yes, They do have the right to do that, along with a number of other reasons not to deliver mail. Some carriers tend to be a little fussy.

Wayne195

Wayne195

Yes, They do have the right to do that, along with a number of other reasons not to deliver mail. Some carriers tend to be a little fussy.

Right, the snow can make things a bit difficult for the postal carriers' when it snows:mad: But if the guy was able to reach out far enough to put that note in you mailbox he certainly could have delivered your mail too.:laughing:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Whatever you do DON'T PI$$ THAT GUY OFF It seeems that he is already unhappy with you. Believe me he has the upper hand, I've been there done that you need to get your mail. If it was easier to drive to the post office to get it you would already have a P.O. box.
I'm sure that delivering the mail is not an easy job and I'm sure it's not very rewarding, after all you're never done, you never get to stand back and admire your work. I'm not a psychologist, but I think that may part of the reason people go "postal".
I suggest you humor him until the weather gets better or you may not get your mail

K

KennyV

Whatever you do DON'T PI$$ THAT GUY OFF

I'm with RobertBrown here... Mail can be a problem at times..

Since mail is delivered 6 days a wk... (for now), You have a regular carrier 5 days a wk and a fill in once a wk...
Do you know if it was your regular carrier that left the note or the fill in... your fill in will usually be a bit more fussy as they are generally not as familiar with the route and the end of the day runs later than with a regular carrier that is very familiar with the entire route... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Never upset the 'Postie'.........make sure he has clear access to you mail box........correct height and not obstructed by anything!

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Here in Atlanta, we had a rare snowstorm last Sunday night through Monday afternoon -- about four inches. We received no mail Monday through Wednesday and the mail that came Thursday almost certainly wasn't all that would have accumulated in that time. When I was a kid, there was a saying something like: through rain, sleet, snow... Apparently the USPS gave up that idea.:laughing:

M

monica123

We have similar rules here in Canada, if our mailbox is not shoveled out so she can get completely off the road she will not deliver but we have had some serious issues with our postal worker, she was only delivering when she wanted to and most times in the middle of the night, I called along with just about everyone in the neighborhood and lodged a complaint.

Ric

Ric

We have similar rules here in Canada, if our mailbox is not shoveled out so she can get completely off the road she will not deliver but we have had some serious issues with our postal worker, she was only delivering when she wanted to and most times in the middle of the night, I called along with just about everyone in the neighborhood and lodged a complaint.

Monica, If the mail service in Canada is anything like it is here in the US you and your neighbors need to be real careful about complaining to much unless you like to walking two or three blocks to get your mail because that's what will happen. :smile:

H

Hershey

They deliver in ice, sleet, and snow ... when it's convenient. :} Actually, I can understand it, but I also know how darn frustrating it is as a resident. We need our mail and sometimes it's just hard to get the path cleared in time.

lizard

lizard

In Australia if you complain..........you will have to pick it up from the Post Office...or they can lose it or cause real drama's...........best to say nothing or you will Suffer big Time..........they are in a Position of Power!:mad::eek::confused2:

H

Hershey

That is pretty malicious sounding. Is it controlled by the government there? The post office here is separate now so it's more like a business, although still has controls.

JDgreen

JDgreen

That is pretty malicious sounding. Is it controlled by the government there? The post office here is separate now so it's more like a business, although still has controls.

From what I understand, the majority of postal employees who deliver to rural or suburban boxes are private contractual employees, not govermental employees. What is funny is, my newspaper carrier is a rural route delivery contract employee and he is ALWAYS able to deliver my paper regardless of the snow piled up against my box, however he drives on the wrong side of the road which certainly makes his delivery easier...

Ric

Ric

From what I understand, the majority of postal employees who deliver to rural or suburban boxes are private contractual employees, not governmental employees. What is funny is, my newspaper carrier is a rural route delivery contract employee and he is ALWAYS able to deliver my paper regardless of the snow piled up against my box, however he drives on the wrong side of the road which certainly makes his delivery easier...

The majority of postal employees who deliver to rural or suburban boxes are Government employees not private contractual employees. Although they do use some contract employees they are very few and basically used in smaller community's. City carries deliver or use a LLV or jeep to deliver mail and all Rural carriers use there own vehicles to deliver mail not postal vehicles.
If the postal service makes the cuts in personnel that they talking about my guess would be that the contractual employees would be first to go followed by some early retirees.

173abn

173abn

around here my postal lady drives her own vehicle.I always try to keep the area clear for her so she won't get stuck and can get me my mail.It's easier to keep it bladed than to get her unstuck,she even left me a thankyou note the other day after blading . russ

A

a.palmer jr.

Right, the snow can make things a bit difficult for the postal carriers' when it snows:mad: But if the guy was able to reach out far enough to put that note in you mailbox he certainly could have delivered your mail too.:laughing:

Uh...government workers are terribly spoiled, probably the worst on the planet.

P

Pika

We had a few days of no mail due to snow, here, too. We sure were glad when the mail came today! Well, other than the bills that came along with it!!

Ric

Ric

Now how would you know that government workers are terribly spoiled, have you ever worked inside the Post Office or as a Mail Carrier??

Ric

Ric

This mite be a little off the topic of mail delivery but still related to the Postal Service but something else I found interesting about the Postal Service is they have there own Police Department. How :cool: is that.

173abn

173abn

Ric,the Veterans Adm. have their own police force also.as far as govt. employees being spoiled I'd say some are but the dept I worked which was Nursing Service ,no way!In the 34yrs. I worked for the V.A. I could count on 1 HAND how many Christmas I got off.I also would say that most serving in the military aren't in no way spoiled. russ

Ric

Ric

Ric,the Veterans Adm. have their own police force also.as far as govt. employees being spoiled I'd say some are but the dept I worked which was Nursing Service ,no way!In the 34yrs. I worked for the V.A. I could count on 1 HAND how many Christmas I got off.I also would say that most serving in the military aren't in no way spoiled. russ

Well I never thought they were that spoiled knowing what some go through, that's why I ask the question when I saw this post

I was just wondering if his statement was an assumption or if he knew form experience.:smile:

173abn

173abn

Ric,my bad.I was speaking to Mr Palmer's assumption that all govt. employees are spoiled. russ

A

AndyMan

I was across the county yesterday and found myself behind a different rural mail carrier. He had found a unique way to solve the problem, since not a single mailbox was clear enough to get to from his vehicle. He was using one of those grabber things that disabled people use to reach high shelves. He used it first to open the box, then used it to retrieved the outgoing mail, then used it a third time to deliver the mail into the box, before using it again to close the door.

I wanted to zoom up and shake his hand and ask him to come be MY mailman! :smile:

J

JumpingJack

They deliver in ice, sleet, and snow ... when it's convenient. :} Actually, I can understand it,.

The thing is that there are a lot of different types of mail men and women, some will follow the old motto of the USPS, while a lot of others will use the regulations to their advantage.

If you want to think what might happen if you tick off the mailman, remember Seinfeld, and the mail man there? Kinda funny but also for some a reality

K

KennyV

JumpingJack;12918 remember Seinfeld said:
Yep ... Newman usually had an edge ...
YouTube - Seinfeld-Newman and the post office
"Newman and the post office" too funny... :smile:KennyV