upgrading wood splitter

woodfar

Threads
This is a general question about replacing motor. I have a wood splitter with 6hp motor that has bad compression ring, so no start. Have a 12.5 Briggs I can use but want to ask if I should look out for any issues when doubling hp such as, will same pump be OK with more hp? Don't want to break something else when doing this upgrade. Thanks for any responses.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is a general question about replacing motor. I have a wood splitter with 6hp motor that has bad compression ring, so no start. Have a 12.5 Briggs I can use but want to ask if I should look out for any issues when doubling hp such as, will same pump be OK with more hp? Don't want to break something else when doing this upgrade. Thanks for any responses.

If your wood splitter is made right it should have a hydraulic oil release valve. That being so it wouldn't matter how large the engine is. It will just put out so much pressure and the bypass valve will release. The only thing you will have to watch is how the engine and pump shafts match in height. As far as shaft size gos you can match couplings to fit. Also if you want a little more splitting power with the bigger engine I really don't think it would hurt to set the pressure up a little higher if the release valve is adjustable.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
woodfar said:

It is not has much HP as it is RPMs the faster you spin the pump the more pres you will get out of it The extra HP will help it not bog down So when you split hard wood the ram will not slow down as much

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
If you can get it to fit, there shouldn't be a problem.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is not has much HP as it is RPMs the faster you spin the pump the more pres you will get out of it The extra HP will help it not bog down So when you split hard wood the ram will not slow down as much

I guess I don't understand hydraulics that much. As I see it the engine with the more HP would have a governor. Yes it won't slow down as much under a load but why would that make more pressure or do damage? Both engines will be running close to the same RPM's. I have split a lot of wood in my life time and have found that the only time I hit the release valve is if I hit a big knot and that isn't very often. My spliter is a 5.5 hp and it runs the same RPM's soft wood or hard wood and really don't see why more HP would change that.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
reynoldston said:
I guess I don't understand hydraulics that much. As I see it the engine with the more HP would have a governor. Yes it won't slow down as much under a load but why would that make more pressure or do damage? Both engines will be running close to the same RPM's. I have split a lot of wood in my life time and have found that the only time I hit the release valve is if I hit a big knot and that isn't very often. My spliter is a 5.5 hp and it runs the same RPM's soft wood or hard wood and really don't see why more HP would change that.

If you had more hp you would not have to stop at a big knot

Ok your on your front end loader and it won't pick up a tree so you hit the gas and up it goes. I have a cat and a john Deere loaders I use them to move sand and load trucks the cat has about 75 more hp than the JD but the JD can lift 1 ton more sand a lot faster I was told by cat that the JD pump turns faster so puts out more. Both can lift a full bucket 5 tons just the cat has a hard time. On my sand dredge if the cutter head stops or a winch stops it just needs more RPMs. In a log splitter more hp will keep the RPMs up under a heavy load same on a mower a 10 hp will turn the same RPMs as a 22 hp but the 10 will not hold the same RPMs under a hard load if it did then why would we need the 22

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Ok your on your front end loader and it won't pick up a tree so you hit the gas and up it goes. I have a cat and a john Deere loaders I use them to move sand and load trucks the cat has about 75 more hp than the JD but the JD can lift 1 ton more sand a lot faster I was told by cat that the JD pump turns faster so puts out more. Both can lift a full bucket 5 tons just the cat has a hard time. On my sand dredge if the cutter head stops or a winch stops it just needs more RPMs. In a log splitter more hp will keep the RPMs up under a heavy load same on a mower a 10 hp will turn the same RPMs as a 22 hp but the 10 will not hold the same RPMs under a hard load if it did then why would we need the 22

Like I said I don't work with hydraulics that much and don't know very much about them, other then changing a hose now and then or repacking a cylinder. My question is what is the release valve for and why would they make it adjustable?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
reynoldston said:
Like I said I don't work with hydraulics that much and don't know very much about them, other then changing a hose now and then or repacking a cylinder. My question is what is the release valve for and why would they make it adjustable?

The release valve is so you can adjust your pres if you set it low your ram will stop if you hit something hard if you set it high it will power threw the big knots but could all so blow a hose or do other damage.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The release valve is so you can adjust your pres if you set it low your ram will stop if you hit something hard if you set it high it will power threw the big knots but could all so blow a hose or do other damage.

So for only six HP more why couldn't he just lower that release valve pressure? Would it really do any damage going from a 6 to a 12 hp engine? It's not my splitter to say but if it was mine I would keep around the same hp engine myself. That is just me because I like to keep things the way they were made from the factory. They designed it to work with that HP.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads

Interesting! I've learned something today - Thanks!