Unknow Year of Cub Cadet

I have ran ohm testing on new versus damaged briggs starters to see what the difference was. New starter .1 ohms, bad starter .2 ohms. There is a way to test the briggs starters but is involves a vibratach and a shunt to test amp load and rpms.

I'll test it that way when I get home thanks.
 
b1mmuo27
Please say that the truck was not running when you used it to jump the mower. When I worked at a motorcycle dealership we would have people bring in bikes with fried electrical systems due to trying to jump starting the bike with a running car or truck. Look at the out put from the truck's alternator and look at what the mower requires amperage wise. If you saw smoke from the wiring harness you might have more issues then just a starter or bad battery.
Good luck with it and let us know what you find out.
Tom
 
Check the brushes.
They tend to get a build up down there which can short out the brushes or short out the communator.
Usually a good clean up will work wonders.
Individual brushes and complete assemblies are still available for most starters B & S used and they are quite cheap.
Naturally check the bearing and bush as well.
I have found rust on the armature directly under the bendix to be the culprit for a lot of starter failures as well as crud in the bottom.
 
I can"t see how to get the plastic off the top of the engine so I can get to the starter bolts.

I had a brain fart. It was hot & humid here today. I got the starter out. Cleaned it up. The armature needed shinning up. The brushes were fine. Put it back together tomorrow & try it.
 
So I cleaned it up. Shinned up the armature. Cleaned the brushes. Put it back together & I have .2 ohms on it mow. I'm going to try it as they replaced my 3 month old tractor battery. I'll see what it is drawing if it cranks.
 
b1mmuo27
Please say that the truck was not running when you used it to jump the mower. When I worked at a motorcycle dealership we would have people bring in bikes with fried electrical systems due to trying to jump starting the bike with a running car or truck. Look at the out put from the truck's alternator and look at what the mower requires amperage wise. If you saw smoke from the wiring harness you might have more issues then just a starter or bad battery.
Good luck with it and let us know what you find out.
Tom

That really does not make sense unless they were doing something really stupid like tying to directly energise a high voltage coil with 12 V as the local roadside repair mob have done twice to me at their much greater expense after finally sending the tow truck I originally asked for.
12 v is 12V regrdless of the size of the battery it is connected to and an electrical component will only draw what it was designed to do.
OTOH I have seen knuckle heads hook up a 24V truck to a 12 V car and that was "interesting".
 
Bert,
What I have seen is that the larger amperage out put from the running truck/car over powers the motorcycle/mower electrical system with expensive results. Most electrical problems that I have seen are of the cascading kind, battery goes out which causes the voltage regulator to go out which then causes issues with the stator/charging system or the other way around.
I have also seen the 24 to 12 jump start event. Not pretty at all.
Tom
 
Back
Top