Uneven Cutting

Tpar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since your mower is only a few months old, you might want to talk your cutting issue over with the dealer who sold it to you.

Has it always cut like this or did the problem just begin? If it's always been like this, I'd suspect it was never set up correctly by the dealer. If it just started doing this, I'd look for something bent or broken in the mower attach hardware.
Yeah, that will be my next step is take it to them if I can’t get it fixed myself.

Mower King

Threads
Hey there, I am new to this forum and I wanted get some guidance. So I have a Cub Cadet ZT1 42” and I bought it new a few months ago. I am having an issue with it cutting uneven and it is irritating. I have changed the blades put a mulching kit on it. That’s all I have done to it. So is there anyway to adjust anything with the deck or what do y’all suggest I do to get this addressed and fixed? View attachment 56772
Does your mulch kit include blocking off the grass chute?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you installed the mulch kit and blades, are you sure you seated the blades properly to the spindle shafts. To me it looks like one of you blades is lower than the other, not mounted on the shaft correctly.

Graeden

Threads
Check All things previously mentioned. However, a handy tool that assists in leveling your deck, pick up one of these tools:

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, TSC/Blaines or a local dealer will carry them. One of the easiest & more accurate ways of ensuring your blades are running parallel to the ground.

Here is a video on how to level your deck:

Ranamow

Threads
If your blades don't line up tip to tip, and the blades are installed correctly, then the deck is probably warped.
I've seen this a few times. I just shimed the spindle. The proper way would be to true up the deck, or replace it.
Here's a video from "Teryl fixes it all"

Pecon16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey there, I am new to this forum and I wanted get some guidance. So I have a Cub Cadet ZT1 42” and I bought it new a few months ago. I am having an issue with it cutting uneven and it is irritating. I have changed the blades put a mulching kit on it. That’s all I have done to it. So is there anyway to adjust anything with the deck or what do y’all suggest I do to get this addressed and fixed? View attachment 56772
I too went through the same issues with a new Simplicity after installing a mulching kit about a year ago. Everything that has been stated needs to be checked. The after the tires, the most critical is using a level concrete drive or garage floor and measure from the cutting edge of the blade to the floor. Check one side of the cutting edge and then rotate the blade and check again... this will tell you if anything is out of sorts. Then go to the other side and repeat. Luckily, mine has simple side to side adjusters right there. I later found a tool that really helps in this job.... From Amazon and other dealers... really makes rechecking easier without crawling on the floor.
Stens 750-442 Deck Leveling Gauge John Deere AM130907 MTD 490-900-0041 Cub Cadet 490-900-0041

Stens 750-442 Deck Leveling Gauge John Deere AM130907 MTD 490-900-0041 Cub Cadet 490-900-0041

$8.17$8.17

Monty72

Forum Newbie
Threads

INSTRUCTIONS​

Step 1
Be sure the mower is on a flat level surface and engage the parking break. Turn the engine off and make sure it is cool. Remove the ignition key. Remove the spark plug ignition wire.

Step 2
To level the deck from the front to rear, place the deck lift lever in the middle position.

Step 3
Wearing gloves, rotate the blade closest to the discharge chute parallel to the lawn mower.

Step 4
Measure the height of the front blade tip to the ground. Next, measure the height of the rear blade tip to the ground. Refer to your operator's manual for proper height differences between front and rear.

Step 5
Adjust the deck by loosening the hex lock nut on the deck hanger rod.

Step 6
Raise the front of the deck by tightening the inner hex nut.

Step 7
Loosen the inner hex nut to lower the front of the deck.

Step 8
Once the deck is at the proper level, tighten the lock nut to secure.

Step 9
Wearing gloves for protection, level the deck from side to side by rotating the blades perpendicular to the lawn mower.

Step 10
Measure the height of the blade tips on each side of the deck from the ground.

Step 11
Adjust the deck by loosening the hex bolt on the left hangar bracket.

Step 12
Raise or lower the deck by loosening the hex bolt on the left hangar bracket.

Step 13
When both blade tips have the same measurement from the ground, tighten the hex bolt.

Step 14
Reconnect the spark plug's ignition wire.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Decks should be leveled side to side first, then front to back.

mmoffitt

Threads
Yea get a push mower and some exercise cause that does look like SH_ T you'll feel better and so will your lawn!
Good luck...or make the kid or wife do it!

avguytx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just created a post about this myself. I know this is an older thread but curious what happened in the end. I've got a Cub Cadet ZT1 42 that I know the deck or blade took a hit on something and they apparently aren't that tough. Mine mows off kilter and looks like crap as the blades don't line up as the spindle mounting area is warped now. Last summer (2022) I beat the ever living heck out of it with various mallets with various types of wood (and watched Teryl's video of course) with minimal luck. I believe I tried to shim it too but can't remember now as I was pissed. lol. I priced a new deck this morning from CC which is in stock for the low price of $1,161 shipped. Ugh. Part of me wants to just sell the mower and buy something else.

But I'll take any ideas that anyone has to offer!