Ultima ZT2 surging

closecut

Threads
"Torch tip" ? What the hell is that.
Do not use a torch-tip orifice cleaner..they have notches like a file,and they will enlarge the orifice,creating a non standard fuel ratio that cannot be adjusted out.Use a straight pin or needle that will just barely fit the orifice.Blow carb cleaner through all holes to check for blockage.
I have a set of stainless music wires that start at 1.5mm and go up to 3 mm.Cheap from Azon.Not found an orifice yet that they did not fit.
In the"OLD DAYS",when carbs were all metal,we boiled them in a pot of soapy water and it would make them as clean as brand new.Can't do that now with all the plastic.Next best thing is an ultrasonic cleaner.

RevB

Threads
Do not use a torch-tip orifice cleaner..they have notches like a file,and they will enlarge the orifice,creating a non standard fuel ratio that cannot be adjusted out.Use a straight pin or needle that will just barely fit the orifice.Blow carb cleaner through all holes to check for blockage.
I have a set of stainless music wires that start at 1.5mm and go up to 3 mm.Cheap from Azon.Not found an orifice yet that they did not fit.
In the"OLD DAYS",when carbs were all metal,we boiled them in a pot of soapy water and it would make them as clean as brand new.Can't do that now with all the plastic.Next best thing is an ultrasonic cleaner.
That's what I suspected poster meant. Files 😜

RevB

Threads
They sent me a bill for adjusting the rpm's even though I told them to just change the hydro oil. I asked them why I have to pay for something I didn't want or order as well as why should I pay you to screw up the way my motor runs after they messed with it. Needless to say they were not paid for that only the hydro oil change.
Never pay cash, always card on service. Then you can dispute the hell out of it.

tbmmbt

Threads
Never pay cash, always card on service. Then you can dispute the hell out of it.
Paid for the hydro oil change with a card and won’t pay for the second bill for screwing up my mower.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They messed something up during the oil change. I am not sure what without seeing it but I am a small engine mechanic and things don't just change when you have an oil change!I would have another
service look into it
But what can happen is things change while being delivered to the dealer for work. Bouncing down the road can knock things loose and cause issues that are beyond the control of both the customer and the dealer.

TobyU

Threads
Where do you get off belittling people who are looking for information and A) don’t understand what some are saying and B) don’t have the knowledge to input what is said to them. Also never said anything about what Star said. You brought him into this conversation. Only answered your derogatory comments about me and yes was very competent and skilled at what I did for a living for 42 years. Can’t comment about your ability as I don’t know what you can or can’t do. People skills apparently are not your strong point but to each his own. That is why I came here for some help but all you wanted to do is be condescending to me any way you could. In my profession I had to talk to people who I was working for in terms of what they could understand. Some were more open and had the ability to understand and some weren’t so sometimes I had to dumb it down and talk English that they could understand but you haven’t the capability of understanding what some can and can’t understand.
You were hardly getting belittled.. lol.
People skills are not something on most of our priority lists.
I actually had a customer tell me one time after we had just loaded his mower back into his car after just unloading it because he decided he was going to take it somewhere... That I needed some work on my people skills.
I told him "That's not something I offer.
I do great work at great prices, and faster than every other shop in town."

In fact, I dislike most all of the people and the fact that I have to deal with any of them.
I am in it for the equipment. I like small engines at least some of them.
I want this equipment to run and run properly for a long time.
Some of the people are such idiots, abuse and neglect the equipment so badly, they don't deserve these pieces of equipment but I still like the equipment.

Anyways, to offer some suggestions to you, it's probably just coincidental.
It could have even been just the loading and unloading and stuff from bouncing things around because that can make a difference.
It could have also been what someone else said that you have a slight fuel delivery issue and when they set the RPMs a little higher it made that more pronounced.
As a general rule of thumb in a high percentage of situations, a surging is almost always lack of enough fuel.
And of course can be some other things but 85 Plus percent of the time it is this.
If your machine has a way to manually choke it, which most but the newest ones do, get it to where it is surging a little bit like that and then add a little bit of choke.
Typically when you get to about a quarter to a third of the way choked it will smooth out and stop surging and often speed up a little bit.
If it does this, it's almost a surefire sign that the main jet in your carburetor is slightly restricted.
You can worry about that from there or you can try some seafoam, or my personal preference, berryman's B12 liquid and pour some into your gas tank had a pretty strong concentration and then run it for a while and mow with it to see if it improves.
It often does.
It's also a good idea when you're running a cleaner and stuff like this too get it running well and then crank the choke all the way on a few times to where it's bogging down and stuttering. By doing this several times you're forcing the machine to suck a little harder through the carburetor jets and likely to clear something out more.

TobyU

Threads
In my case I don't take plastic. Cash or check only.
Same here! Mostly cash and a few checks here and there but I don't take plastic at all.
We are destroying this country but everyone using plastic. Now since covid and our new normal crap a huge majority of places are starting to add the surcharge onto the customer instead of eating the cost themselves or they incorporating into the fee and then reducing it if you pay cash.
We need to rebel against this and go back to cash only which is what I've been doing for decades.

davis2

Threads
Well pardner, you seem like a smart enough dude to realize the folks "fixing mowers, cars, M Cycles, etc, today ain't even in the same class as the ones of yester year.
My advice, for what its worth, is to get more involved in DIY hands on down an dirty manly art of "fixing" shit. I mean, its a frigg'n lawn mower, not a spacecraft. How hard would it be to self-educate yourself on internal combustion machinery so you can cut-out the middleman jerkoff and claim the title of master of your domain?
You probably actually do the dishes, vacuum the floors and water the house plants for your little woman. Git wit da f...king man program dude....!
Just say'n....
What's wrong with doing laundry, mopping floors and watering the house plants? I do that, and all the "manly" stuff. I had a mother that taught me how to take care of myself and any family I may have.

davis2

Threads
There is a very small spring that is parallel to the governor spring.It seems to do nothing,but it takes up the slack in the governor spring hole to prevent surging and hunting.It prevents what they call hysteresis.Hysteresis is good in some cases,like a pipe wrench for instance,the sloppy fit make it grab,but not good on a mower governor.If this spring fell off or was removed and not put back on,it can cause surging.
To clean a carb that is not totally clogged,I use Dextron ATF. A small amount, a couple of tablespoons in a gallon usually does it, given time.The engine will smoke some,but the very high amount of varnish and sludge removers in the ATF will break up and remove the same stuff from your mower carb.Run it for a couple of hours,then let it rest overnight..let the solvents do their job.Then run out the tank next day.That has solved many problems for me in the past,even on the older carbureted cars,before computer controls. It may not solve your problem,but it will certainly clean the carb.IMHO:Better than Sea Foam for this purpose.
Is that something you recommend for a maintenance type use? Maybe a lesser amount of Dexron ATF?