Tyres for ride-on in ice

Twinkle

Threads
We haven't bought our ride-on as yet but I just realised that in the winter we are going to have to ride it on a (private) road which is always icy and on an incline. Are there special tyres you guys use for grip on the ice?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
We haven't bought our ride-on as yet but I just realised that in the winter we are going to have to ride it on a (private) road which is always icy and on an incline. Are there special tyres you guys use for grip on the ice?

Unlike cars, there are no special tires for yard care equipment that offer extra grip in winter conditions. Bar or lug treads provide better traction in snow, but on ice they provide less as the contact patch is smaller than a turf tread tire. The only option for improving traction on a ride on is chains, wheel weights, or both. I have a JD 318 with turf tires, even after adding liquid weight to the tires, wheel weights, chains, and a bracket with barbell weights hanging off the back, it still has too little traction to push heavy snow with the front blade. If you have the option of getting a differential lock for the rear axle, go for that. Chains will provide the biggest benefit and are easily added and removed when required.

Attachments

• IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 5

Twinkle

Threads
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not very savvy with machinery but I can take your suggestions to the dealer when we buy. As there are no special tyres available is this a sales market ready to be milked? Or is there some other reason no-one provides this option?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not very savvy with machinery but I can take your suggestions to the dealer when we buy. As there are no special tyres available is this a sales market ready to be milked? Or is there some other reason no-one provides this option?

Probably not enough of a market for "Snow / Ice" tires to fit this type of equipment (if there was a demand they would be out there) Chains are your best bet. If you plan to use it for snow don't underpower and get the best you can afford (cheap will frustrate you and cost more in the long run).

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

Maybe because in this country it's a lawn mower not a snow plow. Most people don't use it when the grass isn't growing.
Traction is a function of grip over weight. If you can't get traction with chains and wheelweights as JD green mentioned it's not going to happen, doesn't matter what kind of tires you buy.
That's why snow blowers throw snow instead of pushing it.
Did I miss something here?:confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found that turf tires work GREAT in snow, (snow tires actually look more like turf tires than any other type)...

On ice... Nothing works well, chains are most likely as good as you will get on ice...

I mount a large snow blower on my ZTR for winter...
and I use my 4WD Kubota with a blade (running over-sized Turfs)... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• drive unit.jpg
    drive unit.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 92 Dixon ZTR.jpg
    92 Dixon ZTR.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 42 Deck.jpg
    42 Deck.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 0

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Twist link are OK twistedlinksmall.jpg
V-Bar are better v-bargardensmall.jpg
4 link spacing OK garden-4-link-sm.jpg
2 link spacing better garden-2-link-sm.jpg

If you have ice I'd recommend V-Bar 2 link spacing ! :thumbsup:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Twist link are OK View attachment 496
V-Bar are better View attachment 495
4 link spacing OK View attachment 497
2 link spacing better View attachment 498

If you have ice I'd recommend V-Bar 2 link spacing ! :thumbsup:

Just wanted to pass this tip along for those who use chains...when I mounted them on my 318 I would first jack up the rear axle, then deflate the tires. I was able to get a snugger fit of the chains and more importantly, I also used what is called a "quick link" to secure the outer side of the chains rather than using the standard connection. Much more secure and no way will that connection loosen. Don't forget to reinflate the tires.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just wanted to pass this tip along for those who use chains...when I mounted them on my 318 I would first jack up the rear axle, then deflate the tires. I was able to get a snugger fit of the chains and more importantly, I also used what is called a "quick link" to secure the outer side of the chains rather than using the standard connection. Much more secure and no way will that connection loosen. Don't forget to reinflate the tires.

That works and also use tighteners to keep them from getting loose.

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I don't think there are specific tires. I googled it and the only thing that came up was chains. I never thought of that but you could put chains on your tires. That would be awesome.