two wheel to four conversion

Threads
i have been thinking and i would like to create a 4x4 lawn mower just for a mud toy but the problem i keep coming across is how to drive the front end and still have steering any suggestions as to what i could do to make this work?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
This has been brought up a few times try a search real quick. However as many times as its been brought up I have yet to see one get done took a rear end and set it up under the front but couldn't figure out how to rig up steering best I could come up with is a kind of tilt style steering and the other more practical required some fabrication

A belt driven rear axle mounted upside down with two brackets close to the wheels that is basically 12" piece of metal sticking straight up connected to each other with the steering in the middle to pivot. Problem would require a completely new suspension

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Farm Show Magazine did a special edition a while back. It had about anything you would like to do done with riding lawn mowers from turning them int articulated steering to making them all wheeled drive to making them tracked vehicles....... At the end of each article there is a contact for the person doing the modifications. If you like to build stuff then you outta contact them and get a copy of it. It has hundreds of modifications, rebuilds, rep owners, and more.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use a go kart live axle front and back.
You can get them with a gear box on them

metz12

Threads
Use a go kart live axle front and back.
You can get them with a gear box on them

that would be the best bet. using the dual tie rod steering.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am sure it can be done. You just can't be bashful, and just spend ,spend and spend. A nice shop that is fully equipped with the latest equipment with a crew of skilled operators. Just watch orange county choppers it will give you the right idea. Just maybe it would be a little easier and cheaper to buy one already made??? But you are the person to know how big your wallet is.

panabiker

Threads
Mechanically, the easiest way would be to use a couple of hub drives for the front like these
36V250W SWXU Front Drive V-Brake Hub Motor - BMSBATTERY

You need to add a generator to supply 36v to these motors. If you add some control circuits and heavy duty batteries, you have a on-demand hybrid 2/4 wheel drive riding mower.

Edited: Sorry the link above is for only bicycle hubs but similar, heavier duty motors for utility vehicles exist if you search for "hub motor".

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mechanically, the easiest way would be to use a couple of hub drives for the front like these
36V250W SWXU Front Drive V-Brake Hub Motor - BMSBATTERY

You need to add a generator to supply 36v to these motors. If you add some control circuits and heavy duty batteries, you have a on-demand hybrid 2/4 wheel drive riding mower.

Edited: Sorry the link above is for only bicycle hubs but similar, heavier duty motors for utility vehicles exist if you search for "hub motor".

Sure looks easy them motors are just going to slip into place. You are living in a fancy world here. Do you have any idea what something like that would involve. Lets get back into the real world. Yes it can be done but to do a job that amounts to anything will take some engineering and don't forget money. OK now all this money and time spent and it doesn't work out right then what? Yes by all means go for it. I am still going to say it would be cheaper to buy one already made.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
As fun as it would be to build if you do not already have the parts laying around it would be cheaper to buy a atv.

Now if you have a old 4x4 atv you can use the front end on the mower. Assuming you have a welder and the know how and skill.
I still do not see the need for the four wheel drive.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As fun as it would be to build if you do not already have the parts laying around it would be cheaper to buy a atv.

Now if you have a old 4x4 atv you can use the front end on the mower. Assuming you have a welder and the know how and skill.
I still do not see the need for the four wheel drive.

Now I can see a need for 4X4. When I get a heavy load of fire wood to take out of the woods. I have two ATV's one a 2X4 and the other 4X4 and I need the 4X4 to get through the woods. Now as I understand that is what the OP wants 4X4 for is the mud. I am just saying it would be cheaper and better to buy what you need instead of making it.