Turbocharging a lawn mower

wineman

Threads
I expect when he has a good look the rod will be poking out through a nice new window in the crankcase
Would not turn off is most likely because the spark plug was now red hot which allowed the engine to continue running but way out of time because the charge would detonate as soon as it got to a combustable Air:Fuel: compression ratio
next time take a video and put it on You Tube people like to see engines blowing up and who knows you might even make $ 4.95 in royalties .
We did try to warn you .
Very correct the spark plug did turn red hot. I am not sure about enjoying seeing things blowing up. We have enough of that going on around the world as it is.

But you were correct. As soon as I smelled gas I got away from it quite quickly and hid around a corner.

lizford

Forum Newbie
Threads
After reading this complete thread, I still cannot take this story seriously.
It sounds more like someone trying to make a joke and the forum is the punch line.
If someone appears to have the ability to install a turbocharger on this lawn mower, why would they not have the common sense to know it wouldn't work. (Scratch that, we have a lot of those people walking among us.)
Why not just raise the mower deck to help alleviate the problem? A more powerful engine will not help
if there is no where for the grass to go.
Why are there no pictures or videos?
PIctures can be taken of the aftermath. I call BS.

minipower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have any of you used any of the following and what were the results?

Thanks
TBB
I haven't done this. It's just an idea I've had. Do remember in the 1980's american cars having smog pumps ? They were used to pump air into the exhaust manifolds to trigger burning the left over fuel inside the exhaust system.
My idea is to use the pump and a supercharger on these relatively small engines. The problem is I have not been able to find info on the cfm the pump blows or the working rpm ranges.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It sounds more like someone trying to make a joke and the forum is the punch line.
If someone appears to have the ability to install a turbocharger on this lawn mower, why would they not have the common sense to know it wouldn't work. (Scratch that, we have a lot of those people walking among us.)
Why not just raise the mower deck to help alleviate the problem? A more powerful engine will not help
I was trying to be nice about questioning things and I find the description of the result suspect. So at this point I will assume my first thoughts were correct and I agree with you. BS.

CraigH

Threads
@wineman is there a reason you seem to not want to post any pictures or info on this?
I'm genuinely curious about how you had it set up to make it work and would love to see some pictures or even a video of it if you took a video of it running?

lbrac

Threads
Was there any entertainment value to this inquiry and subsequent thread?

EatPreyMow

Threads
Had to check back in on this thread and after reading it again I must agree with @lizford. For it to blow up on the first start is suspect, but the biggest tell is the lack of photos. No way would he try out a turbo kit and fail to have his phone at hand for the first start.

That said, if I had money to burn it would be fun to try a turbo kit, but then if I'm going to do that then why not get a old Miata to tinker with? A lawnmower doesn't get more fun with a turbo, it only grows more expensive.