Troy Bult Not starting

JayO

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a self priming mower that I used all of 5 or 6 times and it all of a sudden wouldn't start. I suspect it was tipped over on its side, but I was told by my wife nothing happened. I replaced the air filter, spark plug, cleaned the carb out and got nothing, not even a sputter. PLEASE HELP!

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to LMF, JayO. I have moved this thread to the Troy-Bilt forum where it should get a little more attention than in the new members section. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello JayO...
You are either not getting spark...
or
not getting fuel...

Start with the easiest ...
spray something flammable into the carb (aether, carb cleaner, WD40) and give it a spin. If it tries to start, it's fuel related... if not:

Check for spark ... Remove the spark plug... then with the plug wire attached and the plug laying on the engine give it a spin... if there is no spark ... you have an ignition problem...
Post back with what you find... and the next step will find the problem... :smile:KennyV

jeff

Threads
That test should always be done with a new spark plug or with a spark tester. A bad plug will not spark.

CajunCub

Threads
WIFE....There's your problem!:laughing: Look under it....check out that bent blade or shearded fly key from her "NOT" hitting anything!:confused2:

JayO

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello JayO...
or
not getting fuel...

spray something flammable into the carb (aether, carb cleaner, WD40) and give it a spin. If it tries to start, it's fuel related... if not:

Check for spark ... Remove the spark plug... then with the plug wire attached and the plug laying on the engine give it a spin... if there is no spark ... you have an ignition problem...
Post back with what you find... and the next step will find the problem... :smile:KennyV

I appreciate the help....Now, can you help with all the rain we're getting here in So. In.?? : )

JayO

Forum Newbie
Threads
WIFE....There's your problem!:laughing: Look under it....check out that bent blade or shearded fly key from her "NOT" hitting anything!:confused2:

I knew that was the issue when she called me, lol.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... can you help with all the rain we're getting here in So. In.?? : )

I think you and a lot of others are getting the rain we usually get this time of the year... It's exceptionally dry here... :smile:KennyV

JayO

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello JayO...
or
not getting fuel...

Now that we had a break from rain...tested the NEW spark plug and we have sparks. Not sure what else it could be other than the carb. I HATE that its only a lawnmower engine and I'm clueless.