aladine

Forum Newbie
Threads

briggs

Threads

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since when did Ariens let AYP make there riding mowers? Those hoods and grilles look just like the ones on a Craftsman tractor.

Id pick the Ariens.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can only spend about $1,000 on a mower I have about .8 archers this is my first tractor and have been going back and forth...

The troy I can get an extra 100$ off the list price as well

What one is better?

Ariens 42 in 17.5 HP 6-speed Riding Lawn Mower-960160027 at The Home Depot

Shop Troy-Bilt Pony 17.5 HP Manual 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine at Lowes.com

Well if you check the spec's you'll find the Troy-Bilt is the better mower. They both have the same single cylinder 17.5 Briggs, the Troy however has a 5.5 fwd and reverse speed transmission, the Ariens is 5.1 fwd and 1.6 reverse speed the Troy has grease fittings for your maintenance, not sure about Ariens. The Troy has a 7 spd shift on the go trans and the Arien is a six speed along with the fact that the troy is rated to cut between1-2 acres while the Ariens is rated for 1/2 to 1 acre. If I was to buy one it would be the Troy.

metz12

Threads
Well if you check the spec's you'll find the Troy-Bilt is the better mower. They both have the same single cylinder 17.5 Briggs, the Troy however has a 5.5 fwd and reverse speed transmission, the Ariens is 5.1 fwd and 1.6 reverse speed the Troy has grease fittings for your maintenance, not sure about Ariens. The Troy has a 7 spd shift on the go trans and the Arien is a six speed along with the fact that the troy is rated to cut between1-2 acres while the Ariens is rated for 1/2 to 1 acre. If I was to buy one it would be the Troy.

i agree. troy bilts are great mowers. plus it has a briggs. they are a quality machine and also they are nice to plow with. my buddys grandfather called me to hook up his plow to his troy bilt mower and it happened to be a day that it was snowing so i got to plow with the thing. its a nice setup. also has a great cut quality.

Threads
Ariens all the way my neighbor had a troybilt, and had alot of trouble with it from the first mowing.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ariens all the way my neighbor had a troybilt, and had alot of trouble with it from the first mowing.

I believe in buying according to the specifications of the equipment and according to them the Troy-Bilt should be a better choice. Personally I wouldn't buy either but that's just me.

metz12

Threads
I believe in buying according to the specifications of the equipment and according to them the Troy-Bilt should be a better choice. Personally I wouldn't buy either but that's just me.

me too. i would go with a craftsman or a cub. or a simplicity.

aladine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appreciate the feed back so far everyone!!!

If you guys had to recommend a mower in my price range, have any suggestions? Sine you all are saying wouldn't get a troy even if its better.

metz12

Threads
Sears.com

briggs, good sized engine. also another thing i like about craftsman stuff is they give you model numbers and part numbers on the tractor, belt routings for the drive belt on the tractor and also if you need a part you can just plug the model number of the tractor into sears parts direct and find the part your looking for. but dont buy the parts from sears. they will cost you an arm and a leg. take that part number over to amazon and put that number in and it brings you up to that part. its that easy. and there are grease fittings for the front axles, hubs steering shafts and other places too. just my opinion. also, check out cub cadet. i like their stuff but they primarily use the kohler engines. i have a kohler command in my craftsman and that is a pretty solid motor but i would rather work on a briggs and stratton any day of the week.