troy bilt trans problems

falconsfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I'm new to this forum. Just wanna say thanks in advance. I have a troy bilt super bronco model #13ax60tg766. 06 year model. I was given the mower from my father wich only has like 40 hours on it didn't use that much. He said that when it stopped it started whinning and not long after that it just quit pulling. Since I got it grant it it has sat up for a couple years. I rebiult carb and starter. Cranks and runs like new. But when I put in gear and pushed the pedal it wouldn't do anything but but make a weird noise. Reverse works like a champ. No problems. So I took trans out took apart thinking the clutch collar was stripped or some of those gears. There was no wore or any kinda slippage. I have the schematics on the trans and only thing I see thays diff is I see three washers after the e ring under the pulley. I only had one. I put it back together tighten up the shift linkage. Crank and would go forward but made loud noisebut no matter how far I pushed the pedal didn't really change speed. Wondering if its trans or variable speed pulley. How and what I should I try next? Any help appreciated!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would start by checking the idler tension arm and pulley which puts pressure on the drive belt. It is not uncommon for pulley bearings to freeze up or the idler are to not moving freely.

falconsfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I forgot to mention that the belt that goes around the trans variable speed pulley and tenioner pulley is frayed and tore up

possum

Threads
My neighbor has one with a bad belt. About every third mowing it stops at the bad spot. To get it to move again he has to move the belt.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing is replace the bad belts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A common problem with this variable speed system is that the variable pulley does not move freely. You are going to have to remove the pulley and make sure that it is not worn and moving freely.

falconsfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thanks. Ill try that next chance I get. Ill keep y'all posted. What's the easiest way to get to it and check? Drop the deck?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, it will be easier if you pull the deck. Warning this is not the easiest thing to do.

falconsfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. Thanks. Is there a diagram or something that helps or a link? I've never dropped this one.