TROY BILT THERMOSTAT

reset

Forum Newbie
Threads
model 126t02-0675-B2
choke thermostat moves when hot but does not push hard enough against the air vane and choke remains closed.
is it possible that the choke is faulty or could it be resistance in the air vane or carburetor?
or does is the spring to keep it closed when cold have too much tension?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
can you open/move the THERMOSTAT by hand after it stops moving?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replace it
They are quite frail and fail regularly
I buy them by the box full and even then run out from time to time
Another EPA solution to a problem that does not exist

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Replace it
They are quite frail and fail regularly
I buy them by the box full and even then run out from time to time
Another EPA solution to a problem that does not exist
I have quite the opposite experience, nearly every B&S i've worked on lately has the auto choke like that, rarely see problems out of them.
must be because your upside down, under there.;):)

CubbyCommando

Threads
Using a multi-meter be sure you're getting voltage to the thermostat as it needs heat and voltage to open properly.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cubby, these are thermal actuator thermostats, not electrical, which are powered by exhaust temps On wax plugs. The most common mistakes the DIY guys and gals make is thinking they can loosen them up with spray cleaners. Once these spray lubes hit the wax they are junk. I’m taking things like WD-40, PB Blaster, Silicon, Liquid Wrench, etc. if you spray it, you’ll replace it.

CubbyCommando

Threads
Cubby, these are thermal actuator thermostats, not electrical, which are powered by exhaust temps On wax plugs. The most common mistakes the DIY guys and gals make is thinking they can loosen them up with spray cleaners. Once these spray lubes hit the wax they are junk. I’m taking things like WD-40, PB Blaster, Silicon, Liquid Wrench, etc. if you spray it, you’ll replace it.
Rivets,

Not questioning you but what does the power connection power up on the thermostat then? To be fair, I'm not familiar with the B&S thermostat but the thermostat on the Kohler series 7000, there's 12v supplied to it. I actually had an issue where it wasn't getting power and the choke would not open more than about 1/4. Once I corrected the power problem, the thermostat opened normally. I don't have near your expertise so I'm genuinely curious what the 12v does. Cheers.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Rivets,

Not questioning you but what does the power connection power up on the thermostat then? To be fair, I'm not familiar with the B&S thermostat but the thermostat on the Kohler series 7000, there's 12v supplied to it. I actually had an issue where it wasn't getting power and the choke would not open more than about 1/4. Once I corrected the power problem, the thermostat opened normally. I don't have near your expertise so I'm genuinely curious what the 12v does. Cheers.
Briggs thermostats are located at the muffler, Heat from the muffler opes the Tstat, which moves the choke vane which opens the choke.... not sure about the the Krohlers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no power connected to the auto choke systems on either the Briggs or Honda auto choke systems. Heat from the muffler causes the wax pellet to expand. Mechanical linkage between the auto choke assembly and carb opens the choke as the wax expands, moving the linkage. Plenty of you tube videos can explain it better than I can.