Troy Bilt Snow Blower - Engine Surging

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hmmm...Maybe I should charging more. I getting my Briggs parts at 20% or more off list. By your comment instead marking them back up to list I should be charging another 30-50% GPM of suggested retail price. Now all the other parts that I don't the retail on I mark-up 35% GPM above my cost except for for my JD and Stihl parts which I do 20% GPM as I give a 10% discount to 65+ seniors.

I price match to a couple of big on line retailers because if a customer googles the part numbers on the invoice those companies will come up.
Down the bottom of the invoice is the disclaimer " unless stated all parts are OEM after market parts and warranted for 12 months -- Bert's does not use cheap Jackmax parts "
The original reply was just general pricing and noting that a cheap parts supplier may be very temporary.
The mark up was on true wholesale parts not discounted retail prices that a dealer may give to another company as a trade discount.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
In my area the dealer to dealer discount is usually 10% off list, Parts distributor to dealer discount can vary from 10-50% off of list with some wholegoods being as low as 5% discount. And then the customer complains that you can't negotiate the price of some low profit items. Manufacturers are also guilty of selling directly to the customer on places like Amazon for less than the dealer can purchase it, or in some cases box stores sell several hundred below dealer cost.

AVB

Threads
I price match to a couple of big on line retailers because if a customer googles the part numbers on the invoice those companies will come up.
Down the bottom of the invoice is the disclaimer " unless stated all parts are OEM after market parts and warranted for 12 months -- Bert's does not use cheap Jackmax parts "
The original reply was just general pricing and noting that a cheap parts supplier may be very temporary.
The mark up was on true wholesale parts not discounted retail prices that a dealer may give to another company as a trade discount.

Ahhh that sounds better. Personally lately I have been avoid aftermarket parts myself especially with the current distributors I do make a decent profit margin. Some of the OEM are even cheaper to buy than the aftermarket for me now. No reason to use el cheapo parts especially when my business reputation is on the line.

I really got burned last year on v-belts where my normally good supplier which to an India company that was sending out belts that 1-2 inches short. I lost nearly 1000 usd as they refused to replace them; unless, it at the time of delivery. I also tried several aftermarket carburetor for handhelds and every one of them failed to perform as the OEM carburetors.

One good thing came out that problem and that is now I a v-belt measurer tool that measures up to 170".
In my area the dealer to dealer discount is usually 10% off list,
It would nice they did that around here but they don't they are taking JD's attitude.
Parts distributor to dealer discount can vary from 10-50% off of list with some wholegoods being as low as 5% discount. And then the customer complains that you can't negotiate the price of some low profit items. Manufacturers are also guilty of selling directly to the customer on places like Amazon for less than the dealer can purchase it, or in some cases box stores sell several hundred below dealer cost.
And yes I have ran into this too which not problem as I am independent shop so I am free to purchase where ever I get the best price. I only had a hand to complain about the price that I resale items for. For those customers they can just he items themselves and install them themselves. That way they deal any problems that they run into with the parts. It does make a good feeling with they spend for unnecessary parts that they can't return. A few have tried to me to buy their unused parts but most times I can buy for less than what they paid on eBay or Amazon for the exact same parts. Just got to careful when buying from a non distributor as some of the online claims OEM parts but send aftermarket parts.

For those that buys equipment from the big box stores they can either deal that store for warranty work or just pay as if they had no warranty.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
AVB, I don't have the luxury of refusing warranty work from the box stores sometimes since I have a couple lines that the stores can't warranty, and I am the only service center within the area.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting conversation. I have had people ask if i do warranty work on the cheap mowers from the big box stores. I don't have any affiliation to any mfgr or distributor other than tax free accounts from some parts houses. I tell them sorry but no. Everybody pays. I have heard some horror stories from people trying to get something covered under warranty on big box mowers, especially Huskee from Tractor Supply. ILENGINE, how is it you are forced into warranty work? Do you sell the brand or some type of mfgr affiliation? The local JD/Stihl dealer has many bad war stories about working with mfgrs about warranty work. I don't need that headache.

AVB

Threads
ILengine, Then you must OEM dealer then as I am independent shop and I can't get reimburse for anything. Plus here most of the local OEM dealers will not even deal with an item under warranty even if they are dealer; unless, they sold the unit themselves. Makes very to get warranty service done. I had a couple bad ignition coils that Kohler told me was under warranty and for me to them to a local for replacement. Guess what they wouldn't do it.

Here Hammer the local JD dealer has a bad rep on repairs. It got so that one of my customer brought a 950 ZTR and won't even let the dealer do the warranty work. He rather pay me to do the work. They also a Stihl dealer that couldn't even find a bad spark plug on a HS56 hedger that was under warranty. I ended up having to fix it for the customer.

AVB

Threads
Now we do need to get back to OP problems. We are getting far off the subject.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Interesting conversation. I have had people ask if i do warranty work on the cheap mowers from the big box stores. I don't have any affiliation to any mfgr or distributor other than tax free accounts from some parts houses. I tell them sorry but no. Everybody pays. I have heard some horror stories from people trying to get something covered under warranty on big box mowers, especially Huskee from Tractor Supply. ILENGINE, how is it you are forced into warranty work? Do you sell the brand or some type of mfgr affiliation? The local JD/Stihl dealer has many bad war stories about working with mfgrs about warranty work. I don't need that headache.
Check my signature under my post. If you are a listed dealer/service center you are required to warranty products no matter where they were purchased from. I am also the only Greenworks service center within a 50 mile radius from me. But Greenworks also includes Snapper, Husqvarna, Poulan Pro battery operated mowers, trimmers, blowers, etc.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
So why would it stop surging when it was under heavy snow load? If it was running lean, wouldn't that cause even more bogging down under load?

Also, if the problem turns out to be a bad gasket, not a dirty/clogged carb, you are referring to gasket #32 in this diagram, correct?
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...-storm-tracker-2690xp-2014/370-suc-carburetor
When an engine is running without a load it is actually drawing fuel from the idle circuit of the carb. But because the idle circuit in your carb in clogged the engine is is slowing down due to lack of fuel which then the governor spring pulls the throttle to run faster which exposes the high speed jet of the carb to the low pressure air in the carb, and then slows back down after getting a gulp of fuel. When you put a load on the engine the engine governor tries to maintain the engine speed, and in doing so gets fuel from the high speed jet.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
ILengine, Then you must OEM dealer then as I am independent shop and I can't get reimburse for anything. Plus here most of the local OEM dealers will not even deal with an item under warranty even if they are dealer; unless, they sold the unit themselves. Makes very to get warranty service done. I had a couple bad ignition coils that Kohler told me was under warranty and for me to them to a local for replacement. Guess what they wouldn't do it.

Here Hammer the local JD dealer has a bad rep on repairs. It got so that one of my customer brought a 950 ZTR and won't even let the dealer do the warranty work. He rather pay me to do the work. They also a Stihl dealer that couldn't even find a bad spark plug on a HS56 hedger that was under warranty. I ended up having to fix it for the customer.
There are different types of dealers. Listed dealers are required to service and warranty items sold anywhere. Unlisted dealers are only required to service what they sell.