Export thread

Troy Bilt Pony 7HP Tiller won't start after carburetor rebuild and coil replacement

S

svlawnmower

Problem:
My tiller has a 7hp Briggs and Stratton engine (see details below) and I'm having problems with it not starting. I did have stablizer in it previously since it sits over over the winter.

What I have tried:
  • Though I had stabilizer in it, I did drain and replace the fuel
  • I noticed the plug wasn't sparking - or it was hard to see it spark. After checking the coil with a multimeter it read t 2.6 ohms. I replaced it with a spare coil I had which tested 19+ ohms and replaced the spark plug with a new one. Used a business card to gap the coil and magneto/.
When I did these things, it still wouldn't start but it would fire and run on a shots of starting fluid
  • I decided the carburetor probably needed cleaning and rebuild and bought a rebuild kit specific to this engine from Briggs and Stratton for this model
    • I cleaned the carburetor multiple times intentionally with Carb cleaner and air hose making sure fluid shot through all the holes in both directions when possible.
    • Replaced parts and the gaskets - they were in bad shape. This included the bottom bowl screw gasket and the bowl o-ring
After doing this, it would not start at all, even with starting fluid to assist - then my pull cord broke. So I decided to quit, come in and post something - :)

Engine Info:
121412 - 0158 - E1
Family YBSXS.2051HF - 274479
0008281 D (s/n ??)
Briggs and Stratton 7HP

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

are you getting fuel in the bowl?

C

Caregiver5354

I have started replacing the carburetor instead of rebuilding them. The cost difference is not much, I search the ole interweb and usually find what I need. I think you will be surprised on how little the price difference is.

S

svlawnmower

are you getting fuel in the bowl?
Yeah, fuel is getting in the bowl.

S

svlawnmower

I have started replacing the carburetor instead of rebuilding them. The cost difference is not much, I search the ole interweb and usually find what I need. I think you will be surprised on how little the price difference is.
I thought about it, but wanted to exhaust all my options before doing so.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Problem:
My tiller has a 7hp Briggs and Stratton engine (see details below) and I'm having problems with it not starting. I did have stablizer in it previously since it sits over over the winter.

What I have tried:
  • Though I had stabilizer in it, I did drain and replace the fuel
  • I noticed the plug wasn't sparking - or it was hard to see it spark. After checking the coil with a multimeter it read t 2.6 ohms. I replaced it with a spare coil I had which tested 19+ ohms and replaced the spark plug with a new one. Used a business card to gap the coil and magneto/.
When I did these things, it still wouldn't start but it would fire and run on a shots of starting fluid
  • I decided the carburetor probably needed cleaning and rebuild and bought a rebuild kit specific to this engine from Briggs and Stratton for this model
    • I cleaned the carburetor multiple times intentionally with Carb cleaner and air hose making sure fluid shot through all the holes in both directions when possible.
    • Replaced parts and the gaskets - they were in bad shape. This included the bottom bowl screw gasket and the bowl o-ring
After doing this, it would not start at all, even with starting fluid to assist - then my pull cord broke. So I decided to quit, come in and post something - :)

Engine Info:
121412 - 0158 - E1
Family YBSXS.2051HF - 274479
0008281 D (s/n ??)
Briggs and Stratton 7HP

StarTech

StarTech

Did you clean the fuel bowl retaining screw which is the main jet?

reynoldston

reynoldston

Get yourself a spark tester or make your own from a good spark plug, just gap it 1/4 in. If you don't get a good spark the coil or flywheel magnets are bad. That carburetor should have a fuel pump built into it so also check that

S

svlawnmower

Did you clean the fuel bowl retaining screw which is the main jet?

S

svlawnmower

Yes, I did clean the bowl and retaining screw, and noticed the holes in the screw. So I am a little naive here but having holes means it probably has to align correctly. How do I make sure... do I simply bottom it out tightly?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Yes, I did clean the bowl and retaining screw, and noticed the holes in the screw. So I am a little naive here but having holes means it probably has to align correctly.
Nope

S

svlawnmower

Ok, I'm an idiot... after I sent that reply I it dawned on me that is doesn't matter, it is submerged in fuel... duh!

Anyhow, after reviewing suggestions here, I'm not getting a spark any longer, so I think my spare coil is probably bad.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Ok, I'm an idiot... after I sent that reply I it dawned on me that is doesn't matter, it is submerged in fuel... duh!

Anyhow, after reviewing suggestions here, I'm not getting a spark any longer, so I think my spare coil is probably bad.
remove the kill wire from it and try to start.

S

svlawnmower

remove the kill wire from it and try to start.
Thanks Scrubcadet10, that did it!

I removed the kill wire. It didn't start right away. I sprayed some starter fluid in and then it started up and kept running. It surges a little in the "run" position and smoothly at about 1/4 choke, so I will have to learn where to adjust the mixture on it.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I don't believe the mixture is adjustable on this carb... carb needs a more thorough cleaning possibly.
also, now to find out why the kill wire is grounding.

S

svlawnmower

Yeah, I noticed there is just an idle adjustment. I will have to take the coil off and see why it is grounding out. The positive is that it is actually running better than last year and the year before. We're probably on the right track.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Follow the kill wire... It hooks to a plastic insulator under the gas tank on the control panel... It could have come off. And when you move the throttle all the way back the throttle lever makes contact with a metal tab on that insulator to kill the spark.
There could also be a spot in between where the insulation has failed on the wire.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

20210526-140913.jpg
20210526-140909.jpg

J

Joed756

Don't start redoing what you've already done. First thing you need to do is fix that pull cord or remove it and use a cordless driver. Now, I haven't seen any mention of compression... you can borrow a tester from an auto parts store, without enough compression the engine will not run, fuel will just blow out around the valves. I think you need to look beyond the carb now, if you still think it's a lack of fuel the plug should tell you, if so, replace the fuel lines and the filter in the fuel tank.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

If it kept running, he has good enough compression.

R

Rivets

I’m betting the float needle seat has swollen, shutting off the fuel into the float bowl too soon. This will result in not having enough fuel in the float bowl for easy starting. You will need to remove the carb and check the float level. If it is not level you will need to replace the float needle and seat.

S

slomo

I'm betting valve adjustment, possible low compression, combustion chamber packed with carbon and maybe some dirty cylinder cooling fins. Valves not sealing.... Old paper air filter?? When the paper gets old it restricts air flow. Don't care if it's virgin white in color.

slomo

K

kale

Cancel

K

kale

Nothing to add.

P

Paul o.

I have a 2008 snapper ridding mower with a b's enjine. I put a new coil and plug in it. Can't hold onto the plug wire but will not spark the plug. Checked the ground wire but don't see that it's grounded.
I need help!

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I have a 2008 snapper ridding mower with a b's enjine. I put a new coil and plug in it. Can't hold onto the plug wire but will not spark the plug. Checked the ground wire but don't see that it's grounded.
I need help!
start a new thread in the Briggs engine section, and include engine model numbers.