Troy Bilt Horse drive belt keeps coming off

semimechanicman

Threads
Model:
13WX79KT011

Video of belt jumping off

The drive belt comes off when you press the brake. There is a large space between the light brown pulley and the bolt that is supposed to keep it from coming off. I could use a little help thanks

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
don't know but since the drive belt feeds the drive system, and hitting the brake causes it to hop off, I'd be looking at the suspension to see if something is loose or broken.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First check that the stabilizing arm is attached to the transmission
the arm is there to prevent the transmission canting forward & throwing the belt
I doubt it is the problem , but a check costs nothing .
Second check that the spacer has been put under the pulley
As the belt jumps off the top that suggests the pulley is too low
If it is there pop a couple of washers in under the pulley to see if that fixes the problem

Lastly as the pulley is fixed you can make a belt guard from a piece of flat strap with a right angle bend
It con come from the top but needs to be similar to the one on the moving pulley
It should be about 1/2 way between where the belt enters the pulley & where it leaves the pulley.
Nearly every other mower would have one there but none is shown on the OPL so it looks like MTD is just being cheap .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
13WX79KT011 appears to be a 2012 model. Earlier model versions used two flat idlers.

The belt looks to be the wrong belt. It is critical that you use the correct MTD belt; after market belts will cause problems. The 954-04252 belt is a 4L SEC X 84.17" belt. This is not a "A" section which many after market belts are. You can't just slap any old belt on MTD mower and expect them to work. MTD is unique in this way.

And yes a belt retainer may need to be made and installed on that v-idler.

Last edited:

Gord Baker

Threads
Seems strange to remove the + battery connection instead of the - one

boodas0121

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model:
13WX79KT011

The drive belt comes off when you press the brake. There is a large space between the light brown pulley and the bolt that is supposed to keep it from coming off. I could use a little help thanks

I watched your video from about a year ago. You had a Troy Bilt Horse and the belt kept jumping off. Mine is doing the exact same thing. Did you find out why yours kept jumping off ? Thank You

Gord Baker

Threads
Align Pulleys, M'f'g'rs Belt. Check all mounting brackets for Trans.
Be sure you are going around the Idlers correctly.

boodas0121

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model:
13WX79KT011