Threads
Model TB4BP, 4 stroke,

Engine/Motor 32cc, 4-cycle full-crank
Choke System 1-2-3 choke
Speed Settings Variable
Airflow Velocity 150 mph
Airflow Volume 475 cfm

TB4BP 4-Cycle Backpack Gas Leaf Blower by Troy-Bilt

Just bought last summer- died in fall. Runs for a while until it heats up, then slowly sags until it quits. Two repair shops said low compression, Troy-Bilt is disposable, throw it away.

I say give me a break. Anybody have any experience with these motors? Parts? Troy-bilt sells the entire small block for $100, not piston, cylinder and rings separately. Any help would be appreciated.

jteuban

Threads
Yes this is true, Tory Built s are not the best. You say that you have a low compression issue. Valves not set right could be the prob. but I really think its a scored piston and/or rings, and a cylinder. Its a 4 strike though I have never heard of this prob with this, mostly because of it being a full crank, unless it has very low oil or a leak. I tell you what I would do, I would throw it out or use it for parts and go out a buy yourself a Husqvarna. They have one with pretty much same specs for about $200.00ish. I would do this because it would take you too much money to put into something like this. If its not very old it could be under warranty or a pretty simple repair. I personally for for the more commercial line of products such as Stihl because of problems like this. This is my advice on the subject, like I said idk know what I would do with it, just use your best judgment on how much money you want to put into fixing it. Cheers. this one should last a long time, for you.
Shop Husqvarna 30cc 2-Cycle Gas Backpack Blower at Lowes.com

Check out the link. idk if you would want to put such money into something like this but if you do, you will love it. The only down sideto it is that its a 2 cycle, but there should be no probs, its a Husky. I have the bigger one for my property and its great.

Bob McSmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm a Facilities Manager at a resort that employs college kids during the summer. The reason I went to the Troy-bilt was for the 4-stroke. I prefer Stihl, but after burning up 2 blowers in 3 years due to mix issues I wanted something that was idiot proof. The four stroke was idiot proof- it just turned out to be garbage. Can't figure out how you run through rings or valves in such a short time. We kept the oil full and the valves adjusted. I'm looking to tear it down just to see what the issue is, but if parts can't be had what's the point. Anybody know of another 4stroke blower out there?

indypower

Threads
"Runs for a while until it heats up, then slowly sags until it quits. " This is typical of a coil going bad. When the coil heats up, the inside connections expand and connection is lost. Next time it dies, pull the spark plug and check for spark.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm a Facilities Manager at a resort that employs college kids during the summer. The reason I went to the Troy-bilt was for the 4-stroke. I prefer Stihl, but after burning up 2 blowers in 3 years due to mix issues I wanted something that was idiot proof. The four stroke was idiot proof- it just turned out to be garbage. Can't figure out how you run through rings or valves in such a short time. We kept the oil full and the valves adjusted. I'm looking to tear it down just to see what the issue is, but if parts can't be had what's the point. Anybody know of another 4stroke blower out there?

One suggestion I would make is to mix the gas / oil yourself and don't leave any unmixed gas anywhere near the 2 stroke equipment and use Stihl. Just my $.02

Bob McSmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
One suggestion I would make is to mix the gas / oil yourself and don't leave any unmixed gas anywhere near the 2 stroke equipment and use Stihl. Just my $.02

You would think it would be that simple wouldn't you. Seems people like to prove that they can think on their own and so go out of their way to solve problems without asking for help. Like the time someone filled up the riding mower with fuel oil.

Eochoa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes this is true, Tory Built s are not the best. You say that you have a low compression issue. Valves not set right could be the prob. but I really think its a scored piston and/or rings, and a cylinder. Its a 4 strike though I have never heard of this prob with this, mostly because of it being a full crank, unless it has very low oil or a leak. I tell you what I would do, I would throw it out or use it for parts and go out a buy yourself a Husqvarna. They have one with pretty much same specs for about $200.00ish. I would do this because it would take you too much money to put into something like this. If its not very old it could be under warranty or a pretty simple repair. I personally for for the more commercial line of products such as Stihl because of problems like this. This is my advice on the subject, like I said idk know what I would do with it, just use your best judgment on how much money you want to put into fixing it. Cheers. this one should last a long time, for you.
Shop Husqvarna 30cc 2-Cycle Gas Backpack Blower at Lowes.com

Check out the link. idk if you would want to put such money into something like this but if you do, you will love it. The only down sideto it is that its a 2 cycle, but there should be no probs, its a Husky. I have the bigger one for my property and its great.

If you throw it away please don't. I will buy it for parts. eochoalosgatso95032@yahoo.com

jteuban

Threads
Just what Indypower says a coil that is just starting to go bad, I would change this before tearing it down.

Eochoa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hope replacing the coil works for you........ I mentioned this because it is always good to have some spare parts around..

Good luck,

Ed

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tend to forget that Common Sense is RARE now days.
I have a friend that owns a summer camp for kids and he ended up moving trimmers and blowers (2 stroke) to another building with only pre-mixed fuel available there. Everything else he uses is diesel.

If the property is large enough for a VENTRAC they have many attachments that will do many jobs for you.

You would think it would be that simple wouldn't you. Seems people like to prove that they can think on their own and so go out of their way to solve problems without asking for help. Like the time someone filled up the riding mower with fuel oil.