Troy-Bilt 12.5 5-Speed. PTO will not stay engaged.

AQHACyn

Forum Newbie
Older Troy-Bilt 12.5 5-speed it is haunted :confused2:. The PTO just shuts off and after sitting a bit it will work. It may work great for a hour or maybe 5min. It has started blowing fuses right and left also. Any idea's?

Thank you
Cyn
 
I would say it is time to replace the clutch. Your symptoms indicate that the clutch is shorting out when it heats up.
 
This is always worth a try before shelling out a few hundred dollars on a new clutch.

I looked at the blowup of your mower, and it appears to look somewhat like this one.

You will need a set of feeler gauges and a wrench to fit those 3 adjustment nuts.
 

Attachments

  • clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 3
On te side you will find access slots to measure the gap of the plates, adjust the gap to @ .012.
 
I may or may not have the same problem.

I have a Model #: 13039 with a model 14052 mower deck. The thing fires right up and cuts great when cold and will mow my entire yard and then some. (The community I live in gang mows the common area, which is massive, once a week.)

However, if I turn off the PTO for any reason it will not come back on until it cools off. (I have sprayed it with water and was able to start the PTO after that.)

Will the adjustment listed above help?

Thanks!
 
Back
Top