Trouble with Briggs Quantum Air Filter Gaskets

Well, I got it.......... Evidently I was tightening the screws too tight. I used some loc-tite on the screws, tightened them in until I could see fuel coming up when priming. It took very little tightening of the screws to make it prime. Learn something new every day..............

Thanks Much for all the replies and the help.

Steve

Loctite on the air cleaner screws was definitely not needed but hey, glad your mower is working good now Steve. Cheers:thumbsup:
 
It was actually blue medium permatex bolt holder................ I was told by a B&S Master Tech that Briggs uses loctite when they install the air filter holders, leading you to think that the screws were actually tightened quite snug. Said that's why the bolts are tight when you loosen them for the first time and why it takes very little tightening of the screws when re-installing them in order to get the gaskets to seal.... Over tighten and the seal breaks. Made sense to me and sounded good.

Do you disagree??
 
No, not at all. The factory usually has a really good, uh, grip:ashamed: on what their design needs. It's only that I've shot myself in the foot a couple of times using red rather than blue that I mentioned it at all...:smile:
 
Thanks... I wasn't aware of stay away from the red... In fact that's what I was going to buy at Autozone but all they had was the Permatex medium and heavy........ I looked for light duty but there was none so I went with medium............ Hoping that wasn't too heavy duty.
 
Back
Top