Trouble finding a small engine machine shop in Texas

Romore

Threads
  • / Trouble finding a small engine machine shop in Texas
The shops do not like to rebore aluminum cylinders and for good reason. It is time consuming and the operator needs to know what he is doing. Also make sure the shop follows the engine manufacturers specs, boring a small air cooled to automotive tolerances guarantees an early failure.

Chris Parman

Threads
Tadawson, this machine shop (Accurate Cylinder and Sleeve works) has services offered on Ebay and positive reviews. So I assume they do good work. Here is a sample service offered on Ebay.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've worked in small machine shops before and can't understand why it would be difficult for any machine shop to bore a small engine.

What gives? Set up should be a little time consuming. But boring it, after set up, should be a snap.
Because you have to bore true to the crank so you need to make up mounting plates strong enough to hold it clamped to the crankcase 1/2
Then if it is an all alloy barrel you have to make up a compression plate pulling the head face down lest you end up with a pincushion failure ( some call it a 4 square failure )
Lots of buggerizing around unless you are specifically set up to do them

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The shops do not like to rebore aluminum cylinders and for good reason. It is time consuming and the operator needs to know what he is doing. Also make sure the shop follows the engine manufacturers specs, boring a small air cooled to automotive tolerances guarantees an early failure.
Totally agree. I always take the piston with me and also include the manufacturers spec sheet also for proper tolerance and how to measure the piston correctly for those tolerances.