Tries to Start But Doesnt

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
126M05
6856-F1
Jan 2012

New carb, new head gasket, valves move freely up and down, flywheel key is good, 60 psi compression, has blade on it. Tries to start but doesnt.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since you said flywheel key is intact I suspect a camshaft timing issue as I see ignition kick back. This engine has a plastic camshaft that can slip on the steel shaft.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since you said flywheel key is intact I suspect a camshaft timing issue as I see ignition kick back. This engine has a plastic camshaft that can slip on the steel shaft.
Yes when looking up the camshaft and timing gear. The original timing gear was plastic but superceded to a metal timing gear and camshaft has plastic sleeve on the metal shaft.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Chinese or OEM?
valves move freely up and down
How far do they extend into the head?
flywheel key is good,
Might double check this. Several people have told us the same thing. 7 pages later of help and we get told the OP had a bad FW key.
60 psi compression
No thing for a Briggs.
Tries to start but doesnt.
I would say you have a fuel delivery issue.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not
Chinese or OEM?

How far do they extend into the head?

Might double check this. Several people have told us the same thing. 7 pages later of help and we get told the OP had a bad FW key.

No thing for a Briggs.

I would say you have a fuel delivery issue.
Not fuel delivery issue cause wont even start on carb cleaner. Flywheel was pulled and key was checked. Amazon carb. Doesnt matter where the carb is made its all made overseas now. I have amazon carb on pushmower I use here with no issues for 5 years.