Trick to shifting a Huskee?

conleytgwinn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently I bought a used Huskee (pre-MTD) with a 6-speed manual transmission. I have no idea how to shift from forward to reverse gear other than to shut the machine down for more than 30 minutes, then restart. With the blades disengaged, the clutch pressed, I can SEE into the shifting parts to see that a direction change attempt causes a bar to appear, blocking the shift lever from the intended movement.
Newer Huskees have a separate shifter for directional changes. This model does not. I have tried lifting the shift lever, pushing the shifter down, even turning (rotating) the lever. None of those have consistently worked. Yet I have somehow managed a direction change a couple of times without the shut-down and wait process being necessary - AND without realizing what I did that made the shift possible.

This used mower was intended as an inexpensive backup for my preferred Craftsman 54 inch 26 HP mower which is down now waiting for a coil - I guess as the lawn reached 6 inches of depth, I started realizing that I did not wish to mow 3 acres on foot ever again. (I dd that last when prior Craftsman died after 20 good years); plus, the narrower cut will be useful in the parts of the lawn around/between wifely's multitudes of flower beds and shrubs - IF I can find out what is the trick that allows direction change without a half-hour shut-down.

The seat has been replaced, so I have not found the model number. Instead, what the painted sheet metal tells me: 18-46 (horsepower, width) Huskee Heavy Duty series. Has a Briggs & Stratton engine.
Bought from a 3rd party, so I have no user's manual, no ability to check with the prior owner. I also cannot verify the exact year of the mower, but it appears to be 6-8 years old.

chance123

Threads
I am not familiar with your machine, but is there an adjustment on your clutch? Perhaps where the clutch is "now" adjusted, it is not quite enough to "completely" disengage the engine from the xmission.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pre MTD would most likely by AYP which is mostly like a peerless tranny. Some of the trannys use the back side of the shift keys for reverse, so try shift into reverse by holding the shifter in the reverse direction while slowly releasing the clutch..

conleytgwinn

Forum Newbie
Threads
:smile: Got it!! My mechanical son spotted what I was overlooking - that the blocking bar I thought was just appearing was permanently placed to prevent accidental direction changes. Less is more - I was ALWAYS pulling the shifter all the way to the seat, but to go to reverse from a forward gear actually requires pulling only half-way; and to forward from reverse is likewise only half a pull.
Many thanks to those who made suggestions - both are valid ideas, though someone dumb enough to get into my position would be hard-pressed to apply/try either.