The tree fellers that are good are a marvel to watch. By the time they pay their people, fuel, maintenance, and INSURANCE bill, bids for felling danger trees begin to look somewhat affordable.
I personally find kneeling down, moving maple rounds and madrona rounds (ugh!) into a splitter is about as thankless as it gets. By the time I fall a tree, limb it, buck it up, split it, load it, unload it, stack it, and move it into the house, it is a lot easier to just walk to the thermostat and bump it up some. Money aside, of course, and there is something about a genuine wood fire that is hard to beat.:biggrin:
I agree! I heat my shop with wood, quit heating the house with it a few years ago. I do have a homemade 3-pt splitter, but prefer to split by hand, a little at a time! I enjoy working in the timber, but a lot slower than I used to!