Trashed Murray question: short pull on rope.

MowManWV

Threads
So continuing "having fun cleaning up the Murray 20 inch" but hit a snag. I changed the oil and put in a new air filter, new gasoline and some carb cleaner.

I give the rope a pull but it doesn't come out very far. The rope seems long enough.

It's not "hitting" so I plan to get a new spark plug tonight and if still not hitting, do a continuity check on the spark plug wire later this week.

Should I prepare to take the pull start assembly apart and look into a longer rope?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by try without the plug to check it is not hydro locked , stuck piston etc
Some times the rope can get twisted over itself and jamb
If it once had a no bend set up with an eyelet for the rope on the handle bars then the swaged stop may have pulled through the eyelet on the starter .

dougand3

Threads
I give the rope a pull but it doesn't come out very far. The rope seems long enough.
Puzzling statement. How do you know if long enough? You are holding bail handle to negate FW brake?
Pull rope with plug in, then plug out. Any difference?

MowManWV

Threads
Took Bert's advice and pulled without the spark plug in. Much easier to pull now and "coughs." After I get a new spark plug I'll take the pull rope assembly apart later this week (have to build a deck tomorrow).

MowManWV

Threads
Puzzling statement. How do you know if long enough? You are holding bail handle to negate FW brake?
Pull rope with plug in, then plug out. Any difference?

That's a good question and I don't know if it's long enough...trying to test one variable at a time. I am holding the brake handle down. (I looked at that, the brake does work).

Pull without plug in and it pulls much easier and "coughs" (whatever that indicates).

MowManWV

Threads
Figured out the trouble. BENT SHAFT.

Had my father turn the flywheel with a 15/16" socket and drill as I looked at the shaft. Pretty obvious it's bent.

I was afraid of that but had high hopes. Oh well.....learned what to check first and how to check for it.