Repairs Transmission

jimmacsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman 42" 18.5hp
It sticks in gear (any gear) and is difficult to move.

Model 917.276410

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First a question, does it shift when the unit is not running? If it does, the first thing I would check is the drive belt and drive tension pulley. They are not releasing and allowing the drive pulley on the tranny to keep turning. Second, is check the brake, making sure it is stopping the drive to allow you to shift. If the unit will not shift with the engine not running, I'm afraid that you will have to pull the tranny and replace the shift keys. This is not a job for an inexperienced mechanic or homeowner.

jimmacsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post model number from under seat, thanks.

CRAFTSMAN Tractor Parts | Model 917276410 | SearsPartsDirect

Results engine information

"Hands on", check all linkages & hardware, springs, etc. making sure everything is secure & not worn out.

http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/husi/husi2007_aaaa/husi2007_aaaa__5040542-05.pdf

Thank you, I've checked everything that I can see and touch.
Everything looks fine.

"Rivets", I believe has provided the solution.
Not a happy one, since this type of repair is not for me.

Thanks again for your reply and have a Merry Christmas!!

jimmacsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
First a question, does it shift when the unit is not running? If it does, the first thing I would check is the drive belt and drive tension pulley. They are not releasing and allowing the drive pulley on the tranny to keep turning. Second, is check the brake, making sure it is stopping the drive to allow you to shift. If the unit will not shift with the engine not running, I'm afraid that you will have to pull the tranny and replace the shift keys. This is not a job for an inexperienced mechanic or homeowner.

It does shift when the engine is not running.
The drive belt appears to be too tight.
I have attempted to locacte the clutch spring but, because of
my age (81) and being a stiff in the joints, can't seem to get in the right position,
to find the darn thing.
The diagrams I've seen don't have enough detail to point it out???
Any help with this issue??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being able to shift with the unit off tells me that the tranny is not the problem. Try this to help pinpoint the problem. First with the unit off, put it in any gear and set the parking brake. Now check the drive belt tension, the belt should be very loose. If it is still tight you may have it routed improperly. If you don't have your owners manual, you can download a manual at Sears Parts Direct. Page 24-25 show the belt routing. If the belt is loose you may have to adjust the brake on the tranny.

Have to ask, what did you do to the unit before this problem showed up?

jimmacsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Being able to shift with the unit off tells me that the tranny is not the problem. Try this to help pinpoint the problem. First with the unit off, put it in any gear and set the parking brake. Now check the drive belt tension, the belt should be very loose. If it is still tight you may have it routed improperly. If you don't have your owners manual, you can download a manual at Sears Parts Direct. Page 24-25 show the belt routing. If the belt is loose you may have to adjust the brake on the tranny.

Have to ask, what did you do to the unit before this problem showed up?

The brake setting was in correct. Almost 2" not 1 1/2".
Now 1 1/2"

My son replaced the drive belt and idler pully. not sure of the timming.

Would the teneon spring and ball contribute to my problem??

jimmacsr

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very much so.
Good chance that son has not got the belt on right or tensioner pulley & spring are not fitted properly.

Now if you have a block & tackle or some similar lifting device you can hook up around the front axels and winch the mower up till it literally is standing strait up in the air.
If the deck is first removed ( naturally ) and the petrol tank is empty .
I have a riding buddy that has been doing mowers for 40 years but is now on his 3rd stroke and being about 240 lbs, crawiing under a tractor is no longer an option so he uses and old engine lifing tripod hooked up to the winch on his pick up.
With the mower almost standing up right it is a easy job to clean away all the accumulated grass & attend to the belts & pulleys.
And as he oft says, "stops me getting a face full of dog droppings & horse poo" .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While you are sitting on the unit, engine not running, have your son watch the belt action while you operate the clutch petal. When you push the clutch petal down, the belt should be extremely loose. As you let up on the pedal the belt should slowly start to tighten up. If all looks correct, jack or block up the rear end, put the unit in neutral and try turning the rear wheels together in the same direction. The wheel should turn easily. If they do, shift to first gear and try again. If both wheels turn together, repeat in each gear. If the wheels turn in all gears, I suspect the tranny is OK, but either you have a belt routing problem, or the brake is not stopping the tranny gears, to allow shifting.

jimmacsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
While you are sitting on the unit, engine not running, have your son watch the belt action while you operate the clutch petal. When you push the clutch petal down, the belt should be extremely loose. As you let up on the pedal the belt should slowly start to tighten up. If all looks correct, jack or block up the rear end, put the unit in neutral and try turning the rear wheels together in the same direction. The wheel should turn easily. If they do, shift to first gear and try again. If both wheels turn together, repeat in each gear. If the wheels turn in all gears, I suspect the tranny is OK, but either you have a belt routing problem, or the brake is not stopping the tranny gears, to allow shifting.

Well, first I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post.

I have ckecked everything as suggested, all Ok except for the brake setting , which I corrected.
The machine still sticks (allthough not as bad it seems), so I'm going with it as is and see what happens.
One of my nephews has a tranny the same as mine and it is available free of charge.

So thanks again
jimmacsr