Transmission Problem

Mark Noble

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have recently bought a Husqvarna GTH 250XP lawn tractor and this spring have discovered that after its first outing its works perfectly fine for 25mins and then the forward & reverse gears jam and it doesn't go anywhere. I have been told to check the transmission oil to see what condition its in. Having done this it reveals a honey colored appearance which suggests that the transmission isn't broken. Do i simply fill the transmission casing with oil and if so what type of oil? How do i check what level of oil is in there already as there's no visible guide or dipstick. Is it that the lack of oil is causing the gears to jam when the machine has been running for a while?

Lawnranger

Threads
I can't advise you on how to check your particular transmission but the owner's manual usually has the information you need. If you didn't receive an owner's manual when you bought the lawn tractor, search the web for your specific model or call the Husqvarna dealer.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you purchased this unit in the last two years and it should still be under warranty.

Mark Noble

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both for taking the time to respond, unfortunately the machine was bought last year 2nd hand and does not have a warranty, i have also scoured the user manual and it does not cover anything to do with transmission oil, the filling of, or indeed how to check levels etc, only in fact engine oil.
I think i will need to get in touch with Husqvarna direct. In your opinion is this simply a question of filling up the transmission casing with oil and it will release the gears when its running hot? I'm just hoping the entire transmission doesn't need replacing.

Thanks again. Mark

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you post the exact model number of the unit, I can look it up and see if it is a serviceable unit. Some tranies are sealed, which means no fluids can be added.