Transmission has little power

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I found out what the problem was. That nut holding the main pulley down came loose. I tried tightening it up and it ran better but still won't pull a slope. I'm thinking that hub mount is stripped and I need another one. Any idea how I replace that? Can I do it from the top or will I have to drop the tranny?
Really depends on the mower setup. Some you can change without pulling the transaxle and others you have to pull the transaxle. Some have rod running across the pulley that makes impossible to remove the pulley on some models. Also the tension on the belt must be removed in order to do this.

For the pulley it has a star drive that may have been damaged and it mating hub may also have been damaged. We only a few hundredths of an inch thickness.

skipper124

Threads
Yea I think I'm going to just drop the tranny so I can get a good look at it.. I need to get my impact wrench on that nut. I can't get it in there mounted up because a crossbar prevents me from getting a socket on it. I stuck a screwdriver in one of them pulley holes and turned it with a crescent wrench but I can't get much torque on it. After I do that I''ll remove the belts and check all the pullies to make sure they move freely. Thanks for the replies!

skipper124

Threads
I don't understand why the thickness on them hub stars is so thin. They should be like the blade stars!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not really due the pulley just don't see the stresses that deck does.

Transaxle input pulley nut is torque at 25-33 ft-lbs.

skipper124

Threads
Well I tightened the pulley nut with the impact and reinstalled with a new upper belt. The old one was pretty worn out looking. The lower belt was in good shape so I didn't replace it. The variator moves freely up and down. I noticed the new belt looks just a tad bit bigger in diameter. I also noticed the variator assembly spring was easier to move into place than it was with the old belt. I didn't notice until after I had it installed the belt numbers were upside down. I don't know if that would make a difference. It won't move until it's in 5th gear then it takes off. While in the lower gears it will lerch a little but not move until it hits 5th gear. I used the part number for the upper belt given in an earlier post but I didn't get an MTD OEM belt. Any ideas?

skipper124

Threads
Also does anyone know what size what main pulley nut is? I forgot to even look when I tightened it back up with my deep well impact.. I'm going to try and get a shorter socket to fit under that cross bar if I have to replace that belt.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FYI, when replacing belts on this style of transmission it is highly likely that you replace both belts at the same time.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also does anyone know what size what main pulley nut is? I forgot to even look when I tightened it back up with my deep well impact.. I'm going to try and get a shorter socket to fit under that cross bar if I have to replace that belt.
it should be 7/8" if they haven't changed.

AChrome

Threads
I once had a Tractor Supply Husky mower that if I didn't use the factory brand drive belt, it wouldn't pull a hill at all. Cheap belts worked on deck, but tranny belt HAD to be factory belt.

andrewslarge

Forum Newbie
Threads
I once had a Tractor Supply Husky mower that if I didn't use the factory brand drive belt, it wouldn't pull a hill at all. Cheap belts worked on deck, but tranny belt HAD to be factory belt.
Correct factory belts are necessary