Transaxle Issues

Rhinoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got a 1995 42" Craftsman with a 14HP Kohler. Been trying to keep up with maintenance over the years but I recently let it go. I'm back at it again but I believe I have an issue with the transaxle. When the rear tires are off the ground, no matter what position the gear selector is in, the wheels spin in opposite directions. I believe that's fine but the pulley sitting above the transaxle does not turn in relationship to the wheels. It does turn when I turn it but not when the wheels are being spun and again, doesn't matter what gear I've selected. I checked the shaft going into the transaxle that is connected to the shift rod and it appears to be tight and properly moving the shaft into the transaxle. It's weird because when I parked it, the transaxle was fine. Anyone want to take a shot at the problem?

JOE.G

Threads
It's fine tha the tires turn in different directions, Does the tractor run and drive.

Rhinoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's fine tha the tires turn in different directions, Does the tractor run and drive.

I have to replace the battery as the charger shows a fault but I suspect a carb rebuild is in store for it. It ran when I parked it six months ago.

After working on it a bit more this morning, I found the belt frozen to the rear pulley over the transaxle. Once I freed it up, that allowed me to spin the pulley but it still doesn't allow me to back the tractor up -even in neutral. The tires still skid.

Thanks
Mark

JOE.G

Threads
Is it hydrostatic? or is it gear drive? It should be able to sit for more then six months without a carb rebuild.

Rhinoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a 5 spd manual.

What is the device that looks like some type of solenoid connected to the bottom of the carb bowl? What does it do?

JOE.G

Threads
solenoid gas shutoff so that when the key is off the gas is shut off, or if a safety switch trips, the gas is shut off, to prevent fires. Test the devide by taking it off the carb, grounding body to the negative of the battery, using a jumper to touch the wire to the positive. If it clicks, it is working.