Torque converter question

handirifle

Threads
I took it for a spin today, sans brakes, and glad to report everything else works great. The belt actually is adjusted just fine as is, so when I replace the belt it will be adjusted like it is now.

I plan on doing some sanding and adding a coat of red spray paint to it before turning it back over to the owner.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: I just noticed the pictures. that is a neat looking rig. How about some pictures after painting?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The picture tells a lot for your torque converter. What you have is a continuously variable transmission (CVT). What you don't have is a mechanical torque converter which is used in a go-cart. This transmission is being used more all the time, in ATVs, snowmobiles, and modern cars. The reason they use them are because they are cheap to make, very little to go wrong in repairs, and they are very efficient. I can see them becoming the transmission of the future. I see you have a Comet torque converter which they still are making and selling today. There isn't too much as to belt adjustment other then pulley alignment. The belt tightens as the engine RPM come up. There are some very good Internet sites to look at if you want to know how this transmission works.

handirifle

Threads
Well now I'm a bit (more?) confused. You call the Comet a torque converter, yet say it's a CVT, unlike gokarts. My Gokart torque converter works almost exactly the same way, in that the front (engine) pulley dia totally adjusts to engine speed, as it seems like this one does. Am I missing something? Maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning.

The gearbox that the belt drives, is a FWD/REV box only. It doesn't alter any speeds or change ratios.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well now I'm a bit (more?) confused. You call the Comet a torque converter, yet say it's a CVT, unlike gokarts. My Gokart torque converter works almost exactly the same way, in that the front (engine) pulley dia totally adjusts to engine speed, as it seems like this one does. Am I missing something? Maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning.
The gearbox that the belt drives, is a FWD/REV box only. It doesn't alter any speeds or change ratios.

I will try my best to get through this but some times I'm not that good at explaining myself.

Comet is a company that makes CTV transmissions but calls them Comet torque converters, why I don't know. I don't know their history but for myself I have worked on Comet CTV transmissions in snowmobiles since in the early 60s and as far as I know they still are making them.

Now as for go carts. There has to be a lot of different set ups and different brands of go carts and seeing the only ones I ever worked on were my grandsons. which was like 15 years ago. What they had was just a simple single speed on and off torque converter. You may well have a CTV transmission in your go-cart. I don't know what you have???

As to what I can see in the picture you have a CTV transmission which is two pulleys that work just the opposite from each other which acts as a automatic transmission and this drives a FWD/REV gearbox. Like I said earlier this transmission is being used more all the time. A lot of car companies are using CTV transmissions now like Ford, Chrysler, Nissan. Most any ATV with a automatic transmission uses it now along with all snowmobiles and it sound like your go cart does.

If you would really like to know more on how this transmission works you can find a lot on the web which I am sure they would be better at it then me

handirifle

Threads
I think you are right, about the kart, because it definitely has a variable front pulley diameter. The pulley compresses as the RPM's go up, thus increasing the drive ratio (higher gear ratio), it it makes a noticeable difference in performance. My brother in law has a kart with the straight centrifugal clutch and he has one HP more than mine. Mine will run circles around his. It's well worth the $200 or so that they cost.

The brand name on it is Torque A-Verter, that's on the cover anyway.

Thanks for the info.

handirifle

Threads
Just an update for ya on this thing. It's all painted, except the bed. I will take some pics soon. I was just looking over my first posted pictures and even I cannot believe the difference. Two of the 3 wheels were rusted so bad I wasn't sure what color they were supposed to be. After about 30 min each with a power wire brush, I saw white paint.

You guys will not believe how much nicer this thing is looking. The center bolt on the torque converter was finger tight and was causing a knocking noise that had me, and my neighbor (he convinced me) that is was a rod knocking. Tightened the bolt and it got nice and quiet.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: That is a series 40 comet torque converter, not a CVT.

handirifle

Threads
Either way, all I was really worried about was the knocking noise. Problem solved.