Toro Zero Turn smoking

grumpyunk

Threads
White smoke is generally NOT caused by oil being burned inside the combustion chamber. You may want to re-think replacing the cylinder head as the cause is likely NOT loose valve seals or guides.
tom

Gord Baker

Threads
I work at a rental shop and just tore down a zero turn replaced rings and head gasket. Was burning oil badly like a quart an hour. Well now it smokes on start up for about a minute. Well I realize I had oil in the carb so I let it run half an hour. Anyway it still smokes on start up. Any ideas thank
I suspect that the muffler is saturated with oil and it will take some time to burn off.

grumpyunk

Threads
What Gord said. Take it out to a field, and put it to work for a half hour or maybe a full hour. Park it, and then start it from cold after it sits for a couple hours or overnight. You may find it has stopped being a juvenile delinquent and has given up smoking completely.
If it had years(hours?) of being fed oil from leaking oil control rings, that will form a coating inside the muffler that will take time to burn off.
Also note that you can get white smoke on ANY engine started from cold if the ambient temperature is cool enough to cause condensation of the vapor in the exhaust gas.
Also note that some are very quick to find inconsequential problems to seize upon as a reason to put down someone else's work. ... And there may be NO solution... as in "that's the way it works, they all do that"
YMMV
tom

Cboy553

Threads
I suspect that the muffler is saturated with oil and it will take some time to burn off.
Yeah actually I just tore the motor down again and noticed the muffler had what looked like oil resin. And when I start the motor it takes about 10 seconds before it starts to blow smoke. The. It smokes for about 30-40 seconds before it peters out.

Cboy553

Threads
not sure how to upload pics because it keeps saying pics too large for server otherwise I’d love to show you guys what I’m dealing with. Bottom of head I see oil burn marks going up one side of the intake port

grumpyunk

Threads
I have used the PAINT program to lower the size of images. Some sites restrict the size severaly and the only option are to use another web site to hold the pics or reduce their size.
tom

Alton R

Threads
I work at a rental shop and just tore down a zero turn replaced rings and head gasket. Was burning oil badly like a quart an hour. Well now it smokes on start up for about a minute. Well I realize I had oil in the carb so I let it run half an hour. Anyway it still smokes on start up. Any ideas thank
You did replace the valve stem seals.

SJS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem is the boss ain’t happy and tells me the mower ain’t leavin the shop till it starts without smokin. Would a new head clear it up?
Well, for me it is the valve guides worn and draining down....Same with any OHV engine.
As others have noted: New "standard" (STD) rings do not make up for bore wear: They only "assist" in reducing the amount of oil burned.
As for your boss: "You cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear." He needs to bite the bullet ,as he is obviously not a mechanic.
Good luck.(y)